ABB South Africa is inviting suitable graduates for an opportunity to join the company’s Engineering Graduate Programme for 2020. Read on below to discover more about this graduate programme offers.
ABB, or ASEA Brown Bowen, is a multinational conglomerate with headquarters in Zurich, Switzerland. The company deals primarily in power, robotics, heavy electrical equipment, power grids, automation and more. ABB is a global Fortune 500 company and has been so for over two decades. The company operates in about 100 countries with close to 120,000 employees.
The Group started its South African operations in 1992, and now employs close to a total of 2,500 people in its sites in Malawi, Angola, Zimbabwe, Swaziland and the Democratic Republic of the Congo.
ABB Engineering Graduate Trainee Programme
ABB’s Graduate in Training Programmes are designed using the 70:20:10 system in Learning and Development. This means the programmes observe and apply the concept that learning is of three different types and is 70% Hands-on, 20% Asking Questions and 10% Classroom. The programmes also equip interns with soft skills that allow them to create their own identity and connect easily with co-workers. In addition to soft skills, the programmes also teach equally important technical skills (hard skills). As interns, they have access to industry professionals, learn about ABB products via the online Learning Management system and classroom training. Interns will also be working hands-on with various ABB products and systems. The duties and responsibilities of the successful candidates are dependent on the applicants’ educational qualification
- Electrical Engineering – trainees will gain hands-on experience working with Switchgear Testing as well as Modular, Primary, Secondary, Service area, working and testing with mechanical and electrical designs for CAD and switchgear drawing
- Mechanical Engineering – drafting and basic design of motors, basic mechanical and electrical workings on electric motor as well as project coordination
- Control and Instrumentation – control systems, actuators and field instrumentation, DCS commissioning and design
- Industrial Engineering – Time studies, factory operations and process improvements
- Understand and live by the company’s operating philosophy which is safety and security
Who should apply?
Candidates who meet the following minimum requirements are encouraged to apply:
- Must hold a B Tech or BSC diploma relevant to the above fields of study
- Hungry for learning
- Able to demonstrate solid written and oral communication skills
- Creative, innovative and good at problem-solving
What is the selection process?
ABB’s recruitment and selection processes vary from country to country depending on existing laws and practices. However, the company puts great weight in skills relevant to the job as well as experience while ensuring transparency and fairness for all candidates.
- Determine the open position and advertise
- Perform the initial selection
- Conduct the first interview
- Hire and onboard
How do I apply?
Eligible candidates will need to create an applicant profile on the ABB jobs portal to be able to apply. Click here to get started. Use ZA73760991_E1 as the reference code to easily access the advert.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 06 March 2020.
For further enquiries, visit ABB’s FAQ section by clicking the link. Click the link to view the ABB SA Engineering Graduate Trainee Programme 2020 advert in PDF format.