The African Scholars’ Fund is calling on talented and academically-inclined high school students who wish to acquire bursary support in order to complete their secondary studies. Read on below to find out if you are eligible to apply.
Established in 1970, the African Scholars’ Fund, or ASF, is an organization that works to provide bursary support to deserving high school and TVET students in. Ever since its inception 45 years ago, the ASF has helped over 55,000 students with over R28 million in funds delivered.
African Scholars’ Fund High School Bursary Programme
The ASF actively operates in the Northern, Eastern and Western Cape and provides R1000 per beneficiary paid through the school to make sure the funds go to its intended use. The release of the funds are based on mid-year and December results. Beneficiaries sign the receipt of the funds released by the school principal or a specific bursary representative.
The Fund strives to empower financially constrained youth by providing them a way to afford school fees, school transportation, uniform and other related expenses. Moreover, the AFS mentors, motivates, nurtures and supports them until they complete their studies.
Who should apply?
Applicants will need to satisfy these minimum requirements in order to be considered eligible to apply:
- Must have a general point average of at least 50%
- School fees must not exceed R4500 per year
- Must have a combined monthly household income of no more than R7500
- Must attend school and reside in the Northern, Eastern and Western Cape
- Not older than 21 years of age during matric
What is the selection process?
The ASF selects applicants who demonstrate the following qualities:
- Great academic potential
- High level of initiative
- Constantly on the lookout for opportunity
- Never refuses responsibility
- Does not hesitate to give back
How do I apply?
If you meet the minimum requirements and would like to send an application, download the application form by clicking here.
Prepare and attach the following documents:
- June results
- Family members’ payslips, grant or pension receipts, or any other proof of income
- Handwritten letter (by you) talking about you and your family
- A stamped, empty and self-addressed envelope (do not seal envelope)
Fill out the application form completely and in BLOCK letters. Submit the application form together with your documents to:
P.O. Box 18097
The deadline for submission of applications is on 15 September 2020. Late or incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
For more information, contact the African Scholars’ Fund directly at:
Tel. no: +27 (0)21 689-9094, +27 (0)21 689-9431
Click on the link to view a PDF copy of the African Scholars’ Fund High School Bursary Programme advert.