Agbiz SA is calling on qualified individuals interested in sending their application to qualify for the organization’s Centenary Bursary Programme offering for the 2020 academic year.
Agbiz is a voluntary and independent organization of agricultural businesses in South and Southern Africa. The organization works to make sure that agribusiness contributes a constructive role in South Africa’s economic transformation, growth and development. In addition, Agbiz seeks to create a robust agribusiness environment conducive to healthy competition and sustained growth. Instrumental to this goal is to have access to a talented pool of professionals made by possible by their Agbiz Centenary Bursary Programme.
Agbiz exists because of its members and strives to address the collective interests of its members and to add value to their business. It is a private organisation serving the broad and common business interests of South African agribusiness
Agbiz Centenary Bursary Programme
Established to celebrate the 100th anniversary of some Agbiz members, the primary objective of the Agbiz Centenary Bursary Programme is to advance the interests of the South African agricultural sector by empowering talented students seeking to pursue a Master’s degree or PhD research in agribusiness or other related fields.
The bursary programme amounts to R36 000 which is awarded each year to a South African student intending to take a master’s or a doctor’s degree in agricultural economics or any disciplines related to agribusiness management at a prescribed South African university.
The selected bursar will be evaluated regarding his/her twice a year and is reported to Agribusiness by the department head or academic supervisor. Agribusiness reserves the right to revoke the bursary and cancel the contract due to the reasons listed below:
- The student stops schooling
- No biannual progress reports are received by Agbiz
- Unsatisfactory academic performance as reported by the department head or academic supervisor
In such eventualities, the bursar is required to repay the full amount paid by Agbiz to the learning institution. The amount must be repaid within two months the bursary programme was canceled.
Who should apply?
Aspiring bursars must have the following qualifications for their applications to be considered:
- Holds a relevant undergraduate degree or programme, or in the final year of acquiring qualification
- Obtained at least 60% grade average for major subjects
- Have qualified or registered for admission at a prescribed South African university to pursue a master’s or PhD degree in the fields of agribusiness or agricultural economics
- A one-page recommendation letter from the student’s department head or academic supervisor
- Amenable to signing a formal contract prior to being awarded the bursary
- A South African student with a valid ID document or other supporting documents
What is the selection process?
Bursars are selected based on the following conditions:
- Academic performance
- Relevance and importance of the research field to agribusiness
- Willingness of the candidate to listen to Agbiz when formulating the research topic
- Specific purpose of the bursary application and supporting motivation
How do I apply?
Applicants who satisfy the above mentioned basic requirements are encouraged to send their application together with the following:
- Copy of ID or other proof of South African citizenship
- Proof of university admission or letter of confirmation from the head of the department
- Academic records including certificate of completion of an undergraduate degree
- Recommendation letter from the department head or academic supervisor (should not exceed one page)
- Letter of motivation indicating what the bursary will be used for and the reason for applying
- Declaration of other bursary and support programme the applicant is a beneficiary of
Download the bursary application form by clicking the link below:
Send the completed application form along with the required documents to Agbiz via two channels:
Grain Building, 1st Floor
477 Witherite Street
The Willows, Pretoria, South Africa
PO Box 76297
Lynwood Ridge, South Africa
The deadline for submission of the application of applications is on 6 December 2019.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered. The successful applicant will be informed by mid-January 2020.
If you need more information about the Agbiz Bursary Programme, get in touch with:
Phone: 012 807 6686
For more programme details, download their terms and conditions by clicking the link below: