Canyon Coal is inviting applications from suitable and interested individuals who would like to join the company’s Engineering Learnership Programme intake for 2021.
As a coal exploration, mining and processing group, Canyon Coal, (or just Canyon) operates a number of processing plants and collieries in the Gauteng and Mpumalanga provinces. In addition, the company also heads different exploration projects within South Africa.
Canyon’s operations currently include the Khanye, Hakhano, Ukufisa and Phalanndwa Collieries. The Hakhano Colliery produces export-grade bituminous coal in Middleburg, Mpumalanga, as well as Phalanndawa Colliery (in Delmas) which produces bituminous coal for local consumption. The Ukufisa and Khanye Colliery, both in Gauteng, also produce bituminous products for the local and export market.
Through the years, Canyon has expanded its operations by way of various acquisitions and equitable partnerships in order to acquire strategic resources to boost its existing operations while establishing new ones.
Canyon Coal Engineering Learnership Programme
The Canyon Coal Engineering Learnership Programme is designed for students who have recently completed their matric qualification and recent high school graduates who wish to gain more knowledge that will allow them to make sound and informed career decisions. More importantly, the learnership programme offers school leavers an opportunity to acquire a trade qualification in their chosen field of study.
Who should apply?
In order to qualify for this learner, applicants must be able to meet the following conditions:
- A citizen or naturalized South African citizen
- Must already be an active student pursuing a recognized qualification at a South African tertiary education institution which accredited and registered with the Council for Higher Education
- A school leaver interested in acquiring a trade qualification
- Recently completed Grade 12 with science and math with a 70% GPA
Recognized fields of study:
- Mechanical Engineering
- Chemical Engineering
- Mining Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Diesel Mechanic
- Fitter and Turner
What is the selection process?
The selection of candidates will depend on academic performance. Canyon Coal has an internal committee that will be convened to make the final decision on who will be joining the learnership programme.
How do I apply?
Prepare and attach the required documents listed below:
- ID documents of student and family breadwinner (certified copies)
- A certified true copy of your June exam results (December results to follow once available)
- A certified true copy of breadwinner’s latest payslip (if currently employed)
- If self-employed, breadwinner’s balance sheet (certified copy)
- If the parent, guardian or spouse is unemployed, a sworn affidavit indicating such status is required
- If no family member is formally employed, the source of income must be stated (e.g. seasonal employment, hawking)
Make sure to read and follow the instructions carefully on the application form when filling it out.
Download the application form here.
Submit the completed form along with the required documents to email@example.com.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 30 September 2020.
For further information about the learnership, send your questions via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Tel: +27 11 783 7996