The City of Cape Town is calling on suitable and interested candidates to apply for its Firefighter Learnership 2023 intake. Be sure to go over the minimum eligibility criteria and key responsibilities of the role if you’re interested in applying.
About The City Of Cape Town
One of the biggest cities in the Western Cape province, Cape Town is also the oldest city of South Africa. Also called the ‘Mother City’, the City of Cape Town is famous for its iconic landmark, Table Mountain – one of the world’s seven natural wonders.
As part of the South African Western Cape government, the City of Cape Town provides its residents with a variety of basic services such as drainage, electricity, building plan application and documents, municipal roads, property rates, noise control, cleansing services, refuse removal, regulating street trading, regulating abattoirs, street lighting, waste services, traffic and parking, tourism, sanitation and water services.
The City of Cape Town consists of the following areas: Cape Town CBD, the Cape Metropolitan Council, Helderberg, Blaauwberg, Oostenberg, Tygerberg, and South Peninsula.
City of Town Cape Town Firefighter Learnership 2023
Candidates who are shortlisted are required to undergo and successfully complete the following fitness tests:
- Complete a 24-km run (females 13 minutes; males 11 minutes)
- Reach test – 1.9 meters
- Perform 30 push-ups
- Carry dead loads (2 x 25-kg drums ) over a 100-meter distance
Upon successfully completing the above fitness tests, candidates will be required to:
- Pass a written test and an interview
- Submit finger prints or SA identity numbers for criminal records checking
- Get a City medical evaluation
- Take a drug test at a designated testing center
- Pass an acrophobia (fear of heights) test and claustrophobia (fear of confined spaces) test
- Complete and pass the following during the learnership:
- Firefighter 1NFPA
- Hazmat Operations NFPA 1072
- Hazmat Awareness NFPA1072
- Level 3 First Aid courses as presented by the learning institution
- This is non-permanent position for the duration of the learnership
- Only upon successfully completing the requisite training programme will the candidate receive a permanent position as a Learner Fire Fighter
- Wear prescribed uniform and protective clothing
Who should apply?
Applicants must be able to satisfy these basic eligibility requirements to apply for the role:
- Completed Grade 12, preferably with Physical Science and Mathematics subjects
- At least 18 years old and both physically and medically fit
- Not suffering from fear of enclosed spaces and heights
- A skillful team player who is able deal with stressful work situations
Note that the above is a general description of the nature of work attributed to the role and may not list all the duties and responsibilities, and requisite skills of the position.
How do I apply?
Eligible candidates will need to register their profile on the City of Cape Town’s e-services page. On the application form, indicate your preferred position and rank according to suitability to your qualification. Be sure to use a laptop or desktop computer when accessing the page.
Reference no: SS 07/23 Ext
The deadline for submission of applications is on 13 February 2023.
For enquiries, contact the City of Cape Town directly using the following contact details:
HR Service Desk
Tel: 0860 103 089 (press option “6”)
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the City of Town Cape Town Firefighter Learnership 2023 advert page.