Do you enjoy using wood to make or create things? Do you pay attention to detail and value accuracy in your work? Then you might be a good candidate for a job as a carpenter. Here is all the information you require to become a carpenter.
What Does A Carpenter Do?
A skilled craftsperson employed in the building and cabinet-making sectors is a carpenter. They manufacture a variety of wood construction projects, including the installation of kitchens, flooring, and roofing for buildings.
What Are The Working Conditions Of A Carpenter?
While other carpenters labor on construction sites, some prefabricate cabinets and other structures for houses, businesses, or industries. They spend a lot of time standing when cutting, connecting, and working with wood products, which makes their employment physically demanding.
What Skills And Abilities Are Required To Become A Carpenter?
- They must be skilled with their hands.
- You must be physically strong and resilient.
- Must possess strong business acumen. Carpenters who work for themselves must be able to maintain inventory, arrange work assignments, and submit bids for new tasks.
- Must have an eye for detail.
- Must be exceptionally rational and be excellent at solving problems.
- Must be able to measure precisely and work diligently.
- You must be proficient in math.
What Duties And Tasks Does A Carpenter Perform?
- Examine sketches and blueprints thoroughly.
- Implement measurement activities.
- Cut, form, and smooth the material as needed.
- Create stairways, window and door frames, walls, and rafters.
- Carve and put together drywall, kitchen cabinets, and furniture.
- Make sure the flooring, roofing, or drywall is laid out so that it is level and compatible.
What Should You Do If You Want To Study Carpentry?
- To learn more about the entrance requirements for the Carpentry programme, get in touch with your local TVET college.
- To learn more about the industry and what it entails, contact carpenters or carpentry shops.
- Ensure that you have the right grades and documentation that is required for you to get into the school. Keep in mind that all schools require different grades and documentation so this will be specific to the school you want to attend.
What Are The Minimum Entry Requirements To Study Carpentry At A TVET College?
The following are the entrance requirements for the carpentry program at a TVET college:
- NC(V) Program: A Grade 9 Certificate plus certain college requirements.
- NATED Program: N1 Admission – Grade 9 Certificate plus established college criteria.
- N4 admission: NC(V) Level 4 Certificate in Civil Engineering and Building Construction OR Grade 12 Certificate with a passing grade in Mathematics plus college criteria as specified per program.
Keep in mind, some places will train you in-house to help you start your career in carpentry if you are not sure this is the right job for you. Once you get some training and see that it is something that you like, you can then go on and get your formal qualification so that you can get a better job.
How Long Do You Have To Go To School To Be A carpenter?
Typically, you require a high school diploma which means you need to spend 12 years in school before applying.
To become a certified carpenter, you typically need to complete a three- to four-year apprenticeship program or a combination of over four years of work experience plus a few carpentry-related courses from high school, college, or the workplace.
How Much Does Carpentry School Cost?
A four-week, R7000 short course in carpentry was offered. You receive a certificate in carpentry following training. After completing the course, a student receives a certificate and can become a qualified carpenter that can be paid minimum wage.
If you go on and do a diploma, that will take you longer, cost more but you will be able to be paid more as well.
Where Can You Study Carpentry?
Carpentry courses are available at TVET colleges. You can gain the qualifications you require and the abilities you need through these programs.
There are numerous colleges and facilities in South Africa that provide instruction in carpentry. among the organizations are;
- Crane Carpentry School In South Africa
- Frica Skills
- Northlink College Carpentry Course
- Vistech Carpentry & Roofing Course
- Furniture Technology Centre
- Eastcape Training Centre
- The Mercury School of Woodwork
- Zama Training and Development
- Ekurhuleni Artisans and Skills Training Centre
Are carpenters in demand?
Carpenter employment is expected to increase by 8%, which is faster than the average for all occupations. More carpenters will be needed as remodeling and new home construction activities increase.
How long does it take to learn carpentry?
Depending on the study path picked, it can take a while to become a carpenter. The most frequent route, which takes three to four years to complete, is an apprenticeship. Technical and vocational institutions often offer diploma and certificate programs that last one to two years.