The U.K.’s Commonwealth Scholarship Commission is inviting eligible graduates to apply for its Commonwealth Scholarship programmes for 2022. If you’re interested in applying, be sure to review the scholarship details, particularly the minimum eligibility criteria to find out if can qualify.
About the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission
Sponsored by the Foreign Commonwealth and Development Office, the Commonwealth Scholarship Commission is an executive non-departmental public organization operating within the Commonwealth Scholarship and Fellowship Plan. Since its inception in 1960 in the U.K., the CSC has helped more than 28,500 students, constantly evolving and adapting to the challenges of the Commonwealth of 54 nations.
Commonwealth UK Split-Site Scholarships 2022
As part of the U’K.’s commitment to the Commonwealth, its Commonwealth Scholarships seek to provide scholarship support to highly talented and deserving students with the potential to positively impact the world. Each year, about 800 from the Commonwealth member states who are unable to pursue their postgraduate studies in the U.K. due to financial constraints receive help from the CSC.
The Commonwealth Scholarships postgraduate programmes in various study formats to help up and coming innovators and leaders. as they pursue qualification that can profoundly impact the world.
With funding coming from the U.K., Foreign Commonwealth and Development, the Commonwealth Split-Site Scholar is geared toward widening access to expertise for exceptional doctoral candidates coming from low- and middle-income countries as well as contributing to U.K. and the Commonwealth’s higher research and education efforts through partnerships and collaboration.
The scholarship will cover 12 months of study at a recognized university in the U.K. and may be divided up into two periods of study, in which case, no more than 12 months in between periods is allowed in the U.K. Airfare to the U.K. and back home (at the end of the scholarship) is covered by the scholarship. Scholars will also have access to the following benefits:
- Tuition fee coverage
- Monthly stipend amounting to £1,133 per month. Scholars studying in universities in metropolitan London £1,390 per month
- Single parents, widowed, or divorced will receive a monthly child allowance equivalent to £485 per month; accompanying second or third child is £120 per month. The CSC’s family allowance scheme serves as a supplement your family’s cost of living while studying in the U.K. Actual cost are likely to be higher so be sure to have enough to support your family while studying in the U.K. Also, scholars are not permitted to take on an employment agreement without seeking the approval of the CSC.
Who should apply?
To apply for the scholarship, candidates must meet these minimum eligibility requirements:
- A permanent resident and a citizen of, or granted legal refugee status by Commonwealth member country
- Already registered for a PhD study at a university in a Commonwealth country before the scholarship starts by September 2022
- Confirm departmental or institutional link between your proposed UK university and your home university
- Achieve an upper second class (2:1) honours, or a second-class degree as well as a relevant postgraduate degree e.g. a Master’s degree
- Available to start UK studies by September 2022
What is the selection process?
Eligible applicants will be chosen based on the CSC’s current selection criteria and are as follows:
- The candidate’s academic performance
- High-level quality of the research proposal
- The potential to impact the development of the applicant”s home country
How do I apply?
Applicants will need to apply to a UK university that has a funding agreement with the CSC. Click the link to access a list of UK universities with part funding agreements with the Commission.
All applications must be done using the CSC’s application portal. It is recommended that you accomplish your application ASAP as the online application system will be receiving heavy traffic near the application deadline.
Submit your supporting statements and references by 18:00 GMT, 8 March 2022.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 17 February 2022 at 18:00 GMT.
For any queries regarding the scholarship, go to the CSC’s Contact Us page.
Click the link to the CSC-UK Commonwealth Scholarships 2022 advert page.
If this scholarship has already been closed, please do not make any queries. View our other bursaries/scholarships open for application.