The Center for Scientific and Industrial Research, or CSIR, is inviting suitable individuals to submit an application for its Environmental Assessment Internship intake for 2023. If interested, be sure to check the minimum requirements below to see if you qualify to apply for this internship opportunity.
Established in 1945 by the South African Parliament, the CSIR sees to it that the yearly grant given to the Department of Science and Technology by Parliament is utilized to fund knowledge generation, skills enhancement and scientific infrastructure. Other sources of funding come from contract research for the private and public sectors (both local and overseas) as well as from royalties, dividends and licenses provided by commercial companies and intellectual property management created by the CSIR.
The Institute has shown substantial growth with its research output, added value to society and transformation of its staff throughout its years of operation.
CSIR Environmental Assessment Practitioner Internship 2023
The CSIR’s Environmental Assessment Practitioner Internship role is an 18-month programme which will provide the successful candidate perform various duties and responsibilities as part of the Environmental Management Services research team within its Smart Places cluster. Based at CSIR’s Stellenbosch offices, the incumbent will perform the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Work closely with colleagues in developing the organization’s environmental management and assessment capabilities
- Manage and coordinate environmental assessment studies
- Perform independent investigations and collate information from various disciplines
- Travel to any part of South Africa or other African countries as needed
Who should apply?
Applicants must be able to satisfy these basic eligibility criteria to apply for the role:
- Holds an Honour’s (or Master’s preferably) degree in Environmental Science, or any relevant discipline in the field of Conservational Ecology, Sustainable Development, Environmental Planning, or Environmental Engineering
- Applicants who have completed further qualifications and short courses on geospatial analysis, environmental legislation, stakeholder engagement, and systems thinking have a definite edge
- Possesses a background in the application of scientific analytical research methods
- Solutions-oriented with sound problem-solving skills
- Able to conduct independent investigations as well as trans-disciplinary integration
- Possesses a strong grasp of both local and international events impacting sustainability issues
- Holds a valid South African driver’s license ( Code EB or B)
Note that the above is a general description of the nature of work attributed to the role and may not list all the duties and responsibilities, and requisite skills of the position.
How do I apply?
Eligible applicants will need to register an account to apply. Click the link below to get started.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 13 December 2022.
Please keep in mind that feedback will be limited to shortlisted candidates.
For any enquiries about the internship, send an email to Recruitment01@csir.co.za. Applications sent to this email address will not be accepted.
Click on the link for a PDF copy of the CSIR Environmental Assessment Practitioner Internship 2023 advert page.
Please refrain from making any queries if the internship is no longer available. Alternatively, you may view our other graduate programme and internship listings that are currently accepting applications.