The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research or CSIR is calling on suitable individuals to send in their application and qualify for Library and Information Science Internship Programme offering for the 2020 financial year.
Established in 1945 by the South African Parliament, the CSIR sees to it that the yearly grant given to the Department of Science and Technology by Parliament is utilized to fund knowledge generation, skills enhancement and scientific infrastructure. Other sources of funding come from contract research for the private and public sectors (both local and overseas) as well as from royalties, dividends and licenses provided by commercial companies and intellectual property management created by the CSIR.
The Institute has shown substantial growth with its research output, added value to society and transformation of its staff throughout its years of operation.
CSIR Library and Information Science Internship
The CSIR Library and Information Science Internship is essential for students in the Library Technical Services Stream to acquire real-world work experience in the research and development field.
The successful candidate’s key duties and responsibilities will include:
- Keep track of and process interlibrary loan requests queued on OCLC
- Systematically organize and classify journals and books
- Shelve journals and books
- Conduct quality control monitoring of journal and book collection
- Ensure high-level accuracy of OCLC Knowledge Base
- Perform specific literature searchers under supervision of Information Specialists
- Weed library materials as needed
- Carry out client-facing services
Who should apply?
The CSIR is looking for a potential candidate who meets the following minimum eligibility requirements:
- Must possess a bachelor’s degree in Library Information Science
- Outstanding organizational skills
- Solid customer service attitude
- Operational knowledge of MS Office applications such as Excel and PowerPoint
- Keen eye for detail
- Works well within a team
- Observes strict compliance with deadlines
- Proactive and highly resourceful
How do I apply
If you happen to satisfy the programme’s minimum requirements and would like to part of the internship, click on the link and create an account to apply.
The deadline for submission of applications is set on 15 January 2020. Keep in mind that the CSIR reserves the right to deactivate the link or take down the advert for whatever reason it may deem appropriate.
Only short-listed applicants will receive feedback regarding their application.
For additional information not covered by this advert, contact the CSIR directly at:
Tel: 012 841 4774