About DAAD: German Academic Exchange Service
Founded in 1925, the DAAD is a German association that through grants and awards reinforces the internationalization in German universities. With the motto of “Change by Exchange” DAAD has supported plenty of international scholars and helped developing countries with advice on building an education system.
They provide several scholarships for native and international students as well as design an academic structure that supports qualifications from different corners of the world. This helps in upgrading the standards of research and improving education at the global level.
GERMANY: Short-term Research Grant 2022
The research grant enables international students to pursue research at a well-recognized German institution or a non-university-based research project. It promotes research in various fields and helps bring diversity in terms of talent to German institutions.
The scholarship offers a number of benefits:
- Grant is provided starting from 1 month to up to 6 months and the duration is decided by the selection committee
- Monthly funds from 861 EUR to 1200 EUR depending on the academic level of the candidate are provided
- Living costs of the candidate
- Travel allowance
- Health insurance
Who should apply?
Candidates must ensure that they satisfy the following eligibility criteria before they apply. There should be no exceptions.
- The candidate must be a citizen of Sub-Saharan Africa.
- For candidates who are pursuing a Ph.D., the doctorate must have been started less than 3 years ago.
- For junior postdoctoral candidates, the doctorate must have been completed less than 4 years ago.
- If the candidate holds a Bachelor’s degree, it must have been completed less than 6 years ago.
- The candidates must have excellent academic records.
- The candidates must hold a qualification in any of the following disciplines
- Language and cultural studies
- Laws, economics and social sciences
- Natural Sciences
- Veterinary medicine
- Agricultural forestry
- Nutritional Science
- Art, Music, Sport
- The candidate should not be residing in Germany for more than 15 months.
How do I apply?
After checking the eligibility criteria, the candidate can apply for the grant online. You can check here for more information on the scholarship.
The candidate must find a German supervisor before they apply as the letter of invitation is necessary for the application. For more details, you can contact the DAAD information center (contact details below).
There are some documents that you would need to send along with the application. All the documents are important and must be submitted to avoid the rejection of the application.
- Curriculum Vitae in form of a table.
- If you have any publications they must be uploaded with the form (maximum10 pages).
- A well-devised proposal for the research project you will be working on and a description of your previous works. It should be done in a maximum of 5 pages, 3000 characters (excluding spaces) and a maximum of 2 graphic pages if needed.
- For candidates pursuing a Ph.D., proof of admission at a university in their home country.
- A formulated schedule for the research.
- A letter of invitation from the supervisor in Germany.
- The degree of qualification. It must be submitted before the research begins if not possible at the time of application.
- Proof of employment and training, if applicable.
- All certificates gained in university.
- Corresponding translated documents in English or German with the original documents. It is applicable if the original documents are in some other language.
- A reference from a recent university professor to validate your qualifications. It must be submitted by post. The referral must be hand-signed by the respective teacher.
In case the candidate is not able to submit any document at the time of application, they must be submitted before the grant research begins.
The candidate must submit the application by 1 April 2022, for the research to be started in August.
Keep a check on the available deadlines which are updated on the official website.
For any queries, candidates can contact through any of the following means.