The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees or UNHCR is calling on qualified parties to send their application for its DAFI Scholarship Programme. Find the full programme details below.
The UNHCR, commonly called the UN Refugee Center, defines itself as an organization whose main objective is to save lives, uphold human rights, build a brighter future for refugees, stateless people and forcibly displaced communities.
DAFI Scholarship Programme
The DAFI (Albert Einstein German Academic Refugee Initiative) Scholarship Programme is part of UNHCR’s action plan for improving the lives of refugees by providing them access to quality higher education. Established in 1992, the DAFI Scholarship Programme has awarded bursary support to 13,500 student refugees in 50 asylum countries.
The DAFI Scholarship Programme objectives are as follows:
- Encourage self-reliance among beneficiaries by providing entrepreneurship and employment opportunities
- Encourage students to contribute skills, leadership and knowledge gained to the refugee community
- Enhance the effect of education by encouraging continuous learning among young refugee
- Develop future role models for refugee children to look up to
The DAFI Scholarship Programme provides employment and entrepreneurship assistance once the beneficiary graduates from university.
Requirements or Eligibility
Only applicants who meet the following criteria are eligible to apply:
- A refugee with a valid refugee status
- Completed secondary education with high marks
- Have no other access to financial support to pursue university studies
- Must pursue a field of study that leads to a high demand profession in the country of origin
- Must not be older than 35 years of age for undergraduate studies and no older than 40 years old for postgraduate studies (Master’s)
- Must be able to get admission for full-time studies at a state-run tertiary institution
- Must have a provisional admission letter or letter of admission
Bursary coverage includes the following:
- Tuition/registration fees
- Book expenses
- Cost of living allowance (daily food expenses, lodging fees and local travel expenses)
How to Apply
If you meet the eligibility requirements mentioned above, click the link below to start the application process:
Opening and Closing Dates
Deadline for submission of applications is on 31 October 2019
For further information about the DAFI Scholarship Programme, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.