South Africa’s Department of Environmental Affairs is calling on suitably qualified and interested parties to send in their application and possibly get awarded its Bursary Programmes for the 2020 academic year.
The Department of Environmental Affairs is the South African government’s agency that is in charge of conserving, protecting and improving the country’s environment and natural resources.
Department of Environmental Affairs Bursary Progammes 2020
The DEA’s bursary programmes are awarded to students from previously disadvantaged groups. The programme’s purpose is to develop an effective system that will foster unhampered development of deserving and qualified professionals for future appointments whether in the private or public sector. The bursary can cover up to R40 000.
Bursary support is awarded to students pursuing any of the following fields of study:
- Biodiversity and Conservation (ref. no: BC/01/2020)
- National Diploma in Nature Conservation
- National Diploma in Ecotourism
- BA in Environmental Management / Science
- BA in Environmental Economics
- BSc in Environmenbtal Management, major in Environmental Law
- BSc Zoology and Botany
- BHCS Heritage & Cultural Studies
- BSc in Geology
- Chemicals and Waste Management (ref. no: CWM/01/2020)
- National Diploma or Bachelor’s degree, MTech or MSc in Environment
- Master’s M/ScTech in Chemistry or Chemical Engineering
- MSc/MTech/Hons Microbiology or Biochemistry
- B degree/ MSc/MTech/Hons Waste Management
- MTech/MSc Environmental Health
- ND/Bachelor’s/MSc/Hons Natural Sciences
- Bachelor’s/MSc/Hons Environmental Economics
- ND/Bachelor’s/MSc/Hons Biological Science
- MTech/MSc Waste Management
- ND/Bachelor’s/MA/ Hons Geography
- ND/Bachelor’s/MSc/Hons Bio Tech or Environmental Engineering
- Chief Operating Officer (ref. no: COO/1/2020)
- ND/BSc/Master’s/Honour’s Environmental Management or Science
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/Hons/Phd Environmental Compliance, Control and Enforcement
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/Hons Climate Change and Sustainability Management
- Master’s/Hons/Phd Environmental Development and Research
- Bachelor’s/Master’s/Hons/Phd Environmental Engineering or Environmental Health
- B degree in Risk Management
- ND/Bachelor’s degree in Internal Audit
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Systems/Information Management
- Environmental Programmes (EP/01/2020)
- Hons/BSc/Master’s in Environmental Law/Environmental Economics/Environmental Science and Water Resource
- Hons Economics
- Master’s Science Communication
- PhD in Environmental Management
- Master’s/Hons/PhD in Entomology, Zoology, Ecology or Botany
- Master’s/Hons/Phd in Social Science
Click here to view the full list of fields of study covered by the bursary.
Who should apply?
Applicants will need to meet the following minimum eligibility requirements to be considered for the programme:
- Consideration will be afforded to previously disadvantaged applicants as well as those living with disabilities
- Must be South African citizens
- For undergraduate students, must have already completed first year of studies
- Postgraduate students must already be registered or enrolled and pursuing any of the fields of study covered by the bursary
What is the selection process?
Strongly motivated applications coming from students in their first year may be considered as long as they are taking up any of the recognized fields of study.
How do I apply?
Candidates who meet the basic requirements may apply in a number of ways. Moreover, all applications must come with the supporting documents listed below:
- Letter of motivation stating why the applicant deserves bursary support
- Certified copies of ID documents of both applicant and guardian
- Certified copies of academic records and qualifications
- Letter of acceptance from students in their first year
- Proof of registration for enrolled applicants
- Proof of income of parents or guardian
- Affidavit if parents are unemployed or deceased
Applications may be hand-delivered to:
473 Steve Biko Street
c/o Steve Biko and
or send by post to
Department of Environment
Forestry and Fisheries,
Private Bag X447
Attn: Learning and Development
Download the Department of Environmental Affairs application form here.
All applications must be in by 8 November 2019. Late or applications with missing supporting documents will not be accepted.
Should you have further questions about the bursary programme, contact the Department at its:
Tel: +27 12 399 8685
+27 12 399 8684
+27 12 399 9018
Cape Town office
+27 21 814 8084
+27 21 814 8084
+27 21 814 8104