Dis-Chem, South Africa’s largest pharmacy chain, is inviting qualified graduates to submit an application and to qualify for its Dispensary Support Learnership Programme at its Hermanus store in Western Cape. Be sure to review the minimum qualification requirements before sending your application.
As the operator of the country’s largest and most popular chain of pharmacies, Dis-Chem has 165 stores that generated a total revenue amounting to R21.4 billion in 2019. It has exclusive label products, sells online and offers a loyalty programme. In 2016, the company unveiled its plans to double its outlets all the way to 2021.
Dis-Chem Dispensary Support Learnership
The main objective of this learnership programme is to hire competent and qualified individuals capable of completing the basic pharmacy assistant learner course. As a Dispensary Support learner, the successful candidate is expected to acquire a comprehensive understanding of the principles that define the major areas of the pharmaceutical environment as well as dispensing.
In addition, the Dispensary Support Learner will be under a fixed term contract with the option of permanent employment upon acceptance to the South African Pharmacy Council as a basic pharmacist assistant. As a registered Pharmacy Assistant in the Basic Learner category, the duties and responsibilities will include:
- Sell Schedule 1medication or scheduled substances
- Provide assistance with manipulation, compounding, and preparation of scheduled substances and non-sterile medicine
- Help out with stock unpacking and merchandising as well as cleaning OTC and dispensary shelves
- Perform other tasks as assigned by the Dispensary Manager
- Accurately interpret script and maintain a responsible and professional demeanor and in adherence to legal requirements of the SAPC
- Make sure all medication are verified for accuracy and duly signed by a pharmacist
- Assist with maintaining cleanliness and orderliness of packing shelves and expiry dates of Schedule 5 to 1 medication and controlled substances
- Connect with patients on script tracking report as requested
- Help out with patient service phone calls and call centre scripting
- Share information with the public in promoting health
- Provide support with scheme authorization of HIV/AIDS, chronic, and oncology medication
- Report stock levels and errors
- Comply with company SOP when receiving dispensary stock
Who should apply?
- Must hold at least Grade 12 / matric / Senior certificate with Physical Science and/or Life Science, and Mathematics (HG) with a 50% average
Skills and attributes
- Able to speak, read and write in English
- Adherent to deadlines
- Knows how to adjust to pressure and manage time efficiently
- Solid communication, listening, and customer service skills
- Good at solving problems and conflict management
- Honest, trustworthy, highly professional, and leads by example
- Good computer and numerical acumen
Applicants who possess the following credentials will be given preference:
- Experience in retail FMCG, or at a Dis-Chem shop as well as a good performance record
- Good background in family planning, drug planning with a good track record
- No derogatory credit or criminal record on file
What is the selection process?
As an Equal Opportunity Employer, Dis-Chem works to adhere to its Employment Equity Plan and policies in its recruitment process. Moreover, the company supports the recruitment of people living with disabilities.
How do I apply?
Eligible applicants who wish to apply will need to fill up the online application form on Dis-Chem’s recruitment site. Click the link below to get started:
The deadline for submission of applications is on 3 November 2021.
If you wish to contact Dis-Chem’s head office in Midrand, Gauteng, call +27 11 708 9500.
Click on the link to view a PDF copy of the Dis-Chem Dispensary Support Learnership 2021 advert.