The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, or IFRC, is inviting qualified individuals who would be interested in joining its Protection, Gender and Inclusion Internship. Read further on for information about this internship opportunity.
As the largest humanitarian organization in the world, the IFRC is backed by 192 individual National Societies spread out in five (5) geographical regions. The organization’s work adheres to its seven fundamental principles are as follows:
- Voluntary service
The IFRC is served by the Secretariat located in Geneva and has five regional offices operating in Panama City, Kuala Lumpur, Nairobi, Budapest and Beirut. In Southern Africa, the IFRC operates its Country Cluster offices in Pretoria, South Africa. The County Cluster then serves countries such as South Africa, Botswana, E-Swatini, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Namibia, Angola, Zambia and Lesotho.
IFRC Protection, Gender and Inclusion Internship 2020
The successful candidate will be providing assistance to IFRC Southern Africa’s Cluster Office and National Societies’ development efforts related to PGH policies, tools and strategies essential to the IFRC’s goal of ensuring access, dignity, safety and participation of all. Moreover, the incumbent will provide technical and administrative support to the National Society PGI and Cluster Office Team focus points in introducing PGI analysis and into all services and programmes and make sure these are reflected in project plans and reports.
Duties and responsibilities include:
- Provide assistance to the Community Engagement and Accountability and PGI with increasing focal point capacities
- coordinate project activities
- organize project work plans
- document and distribute case studies /lessons
- prepare reports
- Provide support with processes and activities to institutionalize and strengthen PGI mainstreaming in National Societies’ funding proposals and emergency and non-emergency reports
- Gather and analyze vulnerability-disaggregated data e.g. age, sex, disability
- Provide support Health and Livelihoods as well as Disaster Management teams within the Southern Africa Cluster Office
- Distribute approved messages on the risk of exclusion from, discrimination and violence towards specific vulnerable groups including people at risk gender-based and sexual violence, people with disabilities
- Participate in PGI capacity building for National Society focal points by determining and sharing capacity training and capacity enhancement opportunities
- Assist in gathering, documenting and sharing best practices in mainstreaming PGI issues
- Gather data from the National Societies as monthly newsletter content for PGI in Africa
- Perform admin tasks on PGI activities
Who should apply?
Candidates will need to meet these minimum requirements in order to get considered for this internship opportunity:
- Must hold a similar professional qualification or any of the university mentioned below:
- Gender studies
- Political Science
- Human Rights
- International Relations
- Passed the Organization’s Stay Safe basic online course.
- Good familiarity with gender mainstreaming, as well as analysis considerations within the African context.
- 12 months of work or volunteer experience.
- Fluent in written and spoken English.
- Knowledgeable with MS Office, email applications, databases, etc.
How do I apply?
Qualified candidates who would like to push through with the application will need to click here to get started.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 30 April 2020.
For enquiries, click on the link and fill out the form.
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the IFRC Protection, Gender and Inclusion Internship advert.
- How long will it take to complete the internship?
The internship will run for a period of three (3) months.
- Where will the internship take place?
The successful intern will be stationed in IFRC Southern Africa’s Cluster Office in Centurion.