The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies, or IFRC, is inviting qualified individuals who would be interested in joining its Social Media Internship Programme for 2020. Read further on for information about this internship opportunity.
As the largest humanitarian organization in the world, the IFRC is backed by 192 individual National Societies spread out in five (5) geographical regions. The organization’s work adheres to its seven fundamental principles are as follows:
- Voluntary service
The IFRC is served by the Secretariat located in Geneva and has five regional offices operating in Panama City, Kuala Lumpur, Nairobi, Budapest and Beirut. In Southern Africa, the IFRC operates its Country Cluster offices in Pretoria, South Africa. The County Cluster then serves countries such as South Africa, Botswana, E-Swatini, Mozambique, Zimbabwe, Malawi, Namibia, Angola, Zambia and Lesotho.
IFRC Social Media Internship Programme
The purpose of the internship is to have the successful candidate monitor and create appropriate content through IFRC South Africa’s social media communications efforts. This is to ensure the effectiveness of IFRC Southern Africa’s social media presence in the region.
The duties and responsibilities of the successful candidate are as follows:
- Provide assistance with various tasks such as researching, writing, proofreading and editing IFRC social media content
- Create social media posts on a daily basis
- Keep track of social media posts and tags related to the humanitarian field including trending topics that may need to be raised to the IFRC
- Formulate strategies and provide suggestions on how to increase the following of specific IFRC staff, and raise public awareness of the IFRC’s activities within the 10 countries included in Southern Africa’s cluster
- Less monitoring and posting during weekends
- Increase monitoring and posting during emergencies
- Work-from-home capability with some office visits33
Who should apply?
In order to qualify for consideration, candidates will need to meet the following minimum requirements:
- Has a Bachelor’s degree or in the final year of qualification in Marketing, Communications, Business, Journalism, Public Relations or other related fields of study
- Must be knowledgeable in social media analytics
- Solid background with the use of Facebook, Instagram, YouTube, Twitter, Snapchat and other social media outlets
- Dedicated to developing fresh ideas on how to enhance IFRC’s online presence
- Must have a prolific social media presence
- Highly creative and seeks out innovation
- Always in the loop regarding latest trends across all popular social media platforms
- Fluent in written and spoken English
How do I apply?
Eligible candidates who wish to be part of this internship programme will need to access the IFRC recruitment portal in order to apply. Click here to start the application process.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 26 February 2020. The IFRC may close the application window before the set deadline for whatever reason it may deem appropriate.
For questions regarding the internship programme, access the IFRC’s contact form and fill in the necessary details.
Click the link to view the IFRC Social Media Internship Programme 2020 advert.
- How long will it take to complete the internship?
This IFRC internship programme will run for a period of three (3) months.
- Where will the successful candidate fulfill the internship contract?
The internship will take place in IFRC Southern Africa’s offices in Pretoria.