iThemba LABS, or iThemba Laboratory for Accelerator Based Sciences is offering its Science Engagement Internship Programme for 2019. iThema LABS is a research facility that brings scientists from the medical, biological and physical sciences working together.
This laboratory provides unique and highly specialized research opportunities in the areas of subatomic physics, radiobiology, radioistope research and development, materials research, and more. In addition, iThemba LABS have drawn up joint training programmes and collaboration agreements with other research labs and Higher Education Institutions as a way of advancing the human capital development initiative of the South African government.
With funding from the National Research Foundation, iThemba LABS operates two sites. These research facilities are located in Gauteng and Western Cape and have the capability to provide:
- Cancer treatment using particle radiotherapy
- Basic and applied research utilizing particle beams
- A supply of radionuclides intended for industrial and medical use
iThemba LABS is one of several high-end research facilities of the National Research Foundation, the conciliating agency between the South African government and South Africa’s research organizations’ policies and strategies. The NRF acts primarily as an agency and a small fraction of its activity is dedicated to actual research.
Science Engagement Communications Internship Programme
The iThemba LABS Science Engagement Communications Internship Programme seeks to develop an intern who will assist the organization in developing science engagement marketing materials. The selected intern will also help in creating content targeted towards social media and other online platforms.
The intern be working with a team of science engagement experts with various backgrounds and are highly dedicated to developing the way science impacts iThemba’s stakeholders. Listed below are some of the duties and responsibilities of the selected intern:
- Planning and implementing Science Engagement communications in a number of social media platforms
- Assisting in content development for the Science Engagement initiative
- Progress monitoring of Science Engagement programme online
- Assist Science Engagement team in general tasks
The Science Engagement Communications Internship Programme runs for only 12 months. Full-time employment is not guaranteed at the end of the internship.
Requirements or Eligibility
To qualify, applicants must meet the minimum requirements listed below:
- Completed a degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Media Studies or other allied fields
- Willing to travel and work outside Cape Town for several days
- Skilled in MS Office applications
- Proficient in English and conversant in Afrikaans and IsiXhosa
- Holds a valid driver’s license (Code EB)
- Knowledgeable in graphic design and other relevant digital multimedia applications
- Can work well independently and within a group
- Must have some experience in article writing
- Knows how to make social media posts
- Can write blogs or create YouTube videos
How to Apply
Qualified applicants will need to apply online by clicking the link below:
Need to known more about iThemba Labs? Click on the link below for more information about them.
Tel: +27 (21) 843 1000
Fax: +27 (21) 843 3525