The Department of Paediatrics at the University of Witwatersrand is looking for highly suitable graduates to submit an application and qualify for placement in its In-service Lab Internship Programme for 2021. Kindly review the minimum eligibility and other important details below before applying.
The University of Witwatersrand in Johannesburg is a public research university in South Africa. Commonly called Wits University or simply just Wits, the university is situated in the northern part of central Johannesburg. Similar to Witwatersrand and Johannesburg, UW gets its roots from the mining industry. It started as the South African School Mines in 1896 and is the third oldest university in South Africa in continuous operation.
iWits In-service Lab Internship 2021
The successful candidate will be part of the Department of Paediatrics’ Developmental Pathways for Health Research Unit, which is also part of the South African Medical Research Council. The In-service Lab Intern’s main purpose is to provide assistance on current research projects. In order to fulfill this purpose, the intern is to carry out the following duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct blood sample centrifugation
- Handle biological samples and perform biochemical tests
- Conduct data management tasks e.g. data capture
- Transport samples
- Perform Elisa/RIA biochemistry and routine biochemistry
- Run auto-analyzer
Who should apply?
The ideal candidate must be able to satisfy these minimum eligibility requirements to qualify for consideration:
- Pursuing a degree/diploma in Microbiology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or any relevant science qualification that requires lab work exposure
- Knowledgeable in procedures, practices, and use of laboratory equipment
- High level of computer proficiency, especially with MS Access
- Holds a valid South African driver’s license
- Possesses outstanding work ethics; driven
- Able to work under pressure, and even overtime as needed
- Capable of applying qualitative and quantitative methodologies to challenge various subject matters within disciplinary boundaries
How do I apply?
If eligible, you can apply by submitting a cover letter showing the position being applied for, along with a comprehensively detailed CV. Be sure to include three (3) referees and their names, contact number, and addresses.
Click on the link below to register an account on the University’s recruitment page today to get started.
No deadline for submission of applications has been set as of this posting.
For enquiries, call iWits directly at +264 61 256 660.
- How long will it take?
The internship will run for a period of 12 months.
- Where will it take place?
The internship role will be based in Johannesburg.
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the iWits In-service Lab Internship 2021 advert.