Jacaranda FM is inviting vibrant and promising individuals who would be interested in submitting an application to qualify for its News Internship Programme for 2020.
Formerly Jacaranda 94.2 FM, Jacaranda FM is owned by the Kagiso Media Group, the nation’s largest black-owned media conglomerate. Jacaranda FM is the Group’s top performer and is rated the leading independent radio station in terms of weekly audience share numbering to more than 2 million listeners in June 2014 according to RAMS.
Jacaranda FM News Internship Programme 2020
Jacaranda FM is in need of two (2) news interns who will be joining the station’s news team. The successful candidates will be rotating every six weeks between Jacaranda FM in Midrand and Voice of Wits 88.1 FM in Johannesburg. In addition, the interns will be attending several short courses in radio journalism at the Wits Radio Academy, a public engagement, research and training center in the field of radio.
At Jacaranda FM, the interns’ duties and responsibilities will include:
- Providing assistance with various tasks in the news department
- Help out in the daily general operations within the newsroom
- Support journalists with compiling stories
- Conduct field and news desk reports
At Voice of Wits FM, interns will be performing the following duties and responsibilities:
- Organize and read daily bulletins
- Conduct field reporting
- Prepare stories for current affairs programming
- Actively participate in daily programming in news and current affairs
- Keep news content up to date in all social media platforms
- Attend various short courses at the Wits Radio Academy
Who should apply?
Be sure to review the minimum eligibility requirements listed below prior to submitting an application:
- Must hold a journalism degree (or three years National Diploma) or in any related degree
- Owns a valid driver’s license (or in the process of securing one)
- Solid English communication skills. Applicants fluent in bot h English and Afrikaans will be given preference
- Capable of producing quality write-ups and voice scripts over the radio
- Able to review facts, quality and accuracy of stories
- Knows how to operate field and radio recording and production equipment
- Knows how to perform minimal editing as well as multi-track mixing
How do I apply?
Applicants who meet the minimum requirements can apply by filling out the online application form on Jacaranda FM’s recruitment portal. Click here to access the application form.
The deadline for the submission of applications is on 23 January 2020. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Click the link to view the Jacaranda FM News Internship Programme 2020 advert.
- How long will it take to complete the internship programme?
The programme will run for a duration of 12 months which starts in February 2020 to January 2021.
- Where will the internship take place?
The interns will be placed in Jacaranda FM’s Midrand station.
- Is this a paid internship opportunity?
A basic stipend will be provided during the internship.