The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship grant is calling on deserving and suitable candidates who are interested in getting Bursary Support to help them through their tertiary education. Find out more about this bursary opportunity below.
Jakes Gerwel Fellowship
The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship is a full coverage university bursary support that also offers coaching and leadership development training for high-level learners with a genuine interest in education and teaching. The Fellowship aims to nurture expert educators who value innovation and can drive the kind of change the educational sector badly requires.
Established in 2017, the Fellowship is 100% funded by the Allan Gray Orbis Foundation Endowment. Its beneficiaries pursue their university studies either at the University of Pretoria or the University of Cape Town. Its supported streams include Bachelor of Science, Bachelor of Arts, or Bachelor of Commerce. Furthermore, beneficiaries are given access to mentors, personal coaches and experienced teachers.
The Jakes Gerwel Fellowship is awarded to:
- Grade 12 students
- Students in their first year of university study
- Students in their final year may qualify for the PGCE intake
Who should apply?
Applicants who satisfy these minimum requirements are eligible to apply for bursary/scholarship support:
- For Grade 12 students must have a GPA of nothing lower than 65% in their final Grade 11 results (not including Life Orientation)
- For students in their Gap year, a GPA not lower than 65% in their Grade 12 results (not including Life Orientation)
- For first-year university students – able to demonstrate the ability to not go lower than a 60% GPA
- Final grade results must not any lower than a 65% GPA for first-year university students
- Must be able to commit to a three-year undergraduate course at the University of Pretoria or University of Cape Town
- Able to gain admission into the recognized universities
- Must be under 23 years of age
How do I apply?
Interested parties who wish to apply for bursary/scholarship coverage will need to click on the link to initiate the application process.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 20 July 2020.
For more information about this bursary opportunity, get in touch with Jakes Gerwel Fellowship at:
Phone: 010 900 1244
Cape Town office
Phone: 021 180 4880
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the Jakes Gerwel Fellowship Scholarship advert.