The Johannesburg Water Bursary Scheme is provided by Johannesburg Water SOC Ltd. (popularly called JW), an independent municipal organization established in November 2000 and became operational in January 2001. As a self-governing municipal body, its sole shareholder is the City of Johannesburg.
In support of its business operation, Johannesburg Water invested in many infrastructures such as:
- 28 water towers
- 89 water reservoirs
- 4 laboratories
- 10 depots
- 6 water treatment facilities
- 12,581 km of distribution pipes
Johannesburg Water services about 1.4 million industrial and commercial customers. They also have provide a consumer base of about 4.5 million with an estimated 1,574 ml per day. Johannesburg Water employs about 2,500 people.
Johannesburg Water Bursary Scheme
Johannesburg Water offers bursaries to students intending to pursue or in the process of pursuing a degree in Information Technology or Civil Engineering. Selected bursars will enjoy full coverage of all school related expenditures. They will also be offered practical training and vacation work while in school.
Bursars who successfully complete their studies are guaranteed permanent employment within Johannesburg Water. Moreover, their service contract will cover the full duration of the bursary funding.
Upon completion graduation, the bursar will be assigned to any of the various areas of the business depending on the student’s field of specialisation.
Requirements or Eligibility
For students to be awarded the bursary, they must meet the following conditions:
- Must be currently in matric or have completed their tertiary education
- Have attended or will attend Information Technology or Civil Engineering at an accredited university
- Students pursuing an engineering course must have obtained at least level 6 in Mathematics
- Must have obtained 65% overall average for the current academic year
- Proven financial incapacity to continue studies
How to Apply
If you meet the basic programme requirements, be sure to follow their applications process as listed below.
- Go to CareerWise’s website and register an account. Johannesburg Water works with CareerWise in managing their bursary programme. Click here get started.
Prepare the following as you will be required to upload the documents listed below:
- certified copies of ID document
- Passport size photo
- Students currently in matric are to submit their Grade 11 final results
- Proof of university admission (university students)
- Complete academic records (university)
You also have an option to download the bursary application form that you can send via email or fax. Download the application form using the link below.
As mentioned earlier, JW’s bursary progamme is managed by CareerWise. Send your application via email or fax.
Fax: 086 609 7183
Mail: Career Wise (Pty) Ltd
PO Box 30632
Opening and Closing Dates
Johannesburg Water is accepting bursary applications all year round.
For further enquiries about the bursary programme, get in touch with CareerWise at:
Tel: 086 100 7787 / 086 100 8777