The Mandela Rhodes Foundation is inviting highly qualified and promising individuals looking to get financial support to further their studies to send in their application and qualify to join its Scholarship Foundation each year.
Founded in 2003, it is a legacy foundation started by Nelson Mandela in partnership with the Rhodes Trust. The Foundation aims to develop outstanding leadership capacity in Africa. They look, fund and enable young Africans who embody the unifying leadership of Nelson Mandela and the drive to use their talents for the good of the African continent and its people.
Mandela Rhodes Scholarship Programme
Since its inception, the Mandela Rhodes Foundation has awarded more than 500 scholarships to young and promising leaders from 28 countries in the African continent. Moreover, the Foundation also provides leadership development opportunities as well as a public platform where they can be a valuable resource for increasing the Foundation’s reach and influence in society.
The scholarship programme will cover the costs of the following school-related expenses:
- Registration and tuition fees set by the school
- Allowance for study materials
- Personal allowance
- Meals and accommodation
- Medical aid allowance]
- Conferencing and research grants (available only by request)
- For international scholars, airfare (economy) expenses to and from their home country at the beginning and end of the school year
- The scholarship pays the registration and tuition fees directly to the higher education institution
- Scholarship coverage is up to two (2) years, no exceptions
- Beneficiaries are obligated to attend leadership workshops for the duration of scholarship coverage
- The Foundation does not cover visa application fees where applicable
Who should apply?
Those who wish to apply for the scholarship will need to meet these minimum eligibility criteria:
- Capable of demonstrating leadership, academic excellence, entrepreneurship and inspiring unity and reconciliation Must be a citizen of any country in Africa
- Must be between 19 and 29 years of age
- Already completed an undergraduate degree with a general point average of at least 70%
- Pursuing any non-MBA postgraduate degree (Masters or Honours) in any higher education institution in South Africa
- Undergraduate students set to complete their qualifications before 21 January 2022 are welcome to apply
How do I apply?
Eligible candidates who wish to push through with the application will need to register an account on the MRE recruitment page. Click here to start the process.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 16 April 2020.
Late or incomplete applications will not be considered.
For further questions about the scholarship, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or click on this link for further reading.
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the Mandela Rhodes Scholarship Programme 2020 advert.