In line with the Government of Mauritius’ commitment in promoting high-level capacity-building in the African continent, it is offering its International Scholarship Programme for 2019 to deserving African students. The scholarship programme is run by the coutnry’s Ministry of Education and Human Resources. The Department of Higher Education and Training of South Africa will be facilitating the application and candidate nomination process of this scholarship programme.
Mauritius International Scholarship Programme in South Africa
This full-time scholarship grant is awarded to qualified and deserving African students who are interested in pursuing undergraduate and graduate degrees in Mauritius. Schooling will be done in a recognized state-run Higher Education Institution (HEI).
Bachelor’s, Master’s and PhD degree students under the programme will have access to the following:
- Coverage of tuition fees and course-related expenses equivalent to MUR 100, 000
- Cost of living allowance equivalent to MUR 12,500
- Reimbursement of airplane tickets to and from Mauritius
Requirements or Eligibility
Applicants must satisfy the following basic requirements in order to be considered for the programme:
- Must be a citizen of South Africa
- Must be in excellent health
- With a strong academic record
- Interested in studying in Mauritius
- Available to move to Mauritius in 2019 for the scholarship
- Must be able to get admission into a similar course at a South African HEI
- English proficiency is a must
- Not a beneficiary of any other scholarships in Mauritius
- At least some proof of application admission from a Mauritian university
For undergraduate scholarship applicants, the minimum requirements are:
- Must be over 18 years of age and not more the 25 years at the close of application
- Completed at least National Senior Certificate with Bachelor’s pass and achieved at least a 65% average (excluding LO subject)
- Must have applied for full-time undergraduate course (on-campus) at a public HEI in Mauritius for the 2019 academic year
For Master’s degree scholarship programme applicants:
- Acquired an Honour’s degree and at least a 65% grade average
- Not older than 34 years of age at the closing of applications
For PhD scholarship applicants:
- Completed a Master’s degree by research or its equivalent in a related discipline
- No older than 44 years old at the end of the application window
- Must be able to write and submit a detailed 1,500-word research plan
- Proof of support from a supervisor in a Mauritian university
Keep in mind that this scholarship programme is not awarded by the DHET. It is offered by the Mauritian government through its Ministry of Education and Human Resources.
How to Apply
Interested parties must have already applied for admission to a Mauritian HEI prior to accomplishing the International Scholarship application form. Selected scholars will be entitled to a refund of the admission fee incurred.
Qualified parties are required to download the application form. It highly recommended to fill out the form electronically, before printing it out. If not, use a black pen.
Attach the following documents with your application form:
- Birth certificate
- Academic transcripts and educational certificates
- Passport biodata page copy (if available)
- Signed and completed medical certificate (See Section 6, Application Form)
Send the application form along with the required documents to the Department of Higher Education and Training (referred to as the Nominating Agency) to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Download the International Scholarship Programme for African Students form below:
Shortlisted applicants will receive further instructions from the DHET as to how to continue with the application process.
Opening and Closing Dates
Deadline of submission of applications to the DHET is on 25 March 2019. Make sure to check the application window for the Mauritian HEIs by reading Section 8 of the Applicant Guidelines.
For more information about the Mauritius-Africa International Scholarship Programme 2019, click here.