About The Oppenheimer Memorial Trust (OMT)
The trust was founded in 1958 in memory of Sir Ernest Oppenheimer. To honour the kindness of his father, Harry Oppenheimer established this trust, which worked to facilitate the progress of black South Africans. OMT has largely donated to the educational sector and public-interest institutions. They provide scholarship programmes and awards to students pursuing post-graduation or higher-level degrees.
OMT Scholarship for Postgraduate Local Study:
Students who have performed exceedingly well academically are eligible to apply for the scholarships awarded by OMT. The candidate must prevail in all sorts of activities other than strong academics. The personal circumstances of a student will have a role in deciding the value of the scholarship.
For the local higher education institutions, this trust covers the funds for the Master’s, Doctoral, and Postdoctoral levels. It is suggested that you apply for co-funding and not rely on just one.
The scholarships can be terminated if the candidate fails to perform well academically.
The total time up to which funding will be provided depends on the level of study.
- For postgraduate study, funds will be provided for up to 2 years.
- For master’s study, funding will be provided for up to 2 years.
- For the postdoctoral study, funding will be provided for up to 3 years.
Who should apply?
Before you proceed to fill out the application form, check the following eligibility criteria. All the points must be checked and fulfilled without any exceptions, or else you will be disqualified.
Eligibility criteria for Postgraduate Studies (local) are:
- You must have either citizenship of South Africa or be a permanent resident. Candidates from foreign nations can only apply for postdoctoral programmes.
- You must be pursuing a postgraduate degree. It can be a Master’s, a Doctorate, or a Post-doctorate.
- You must be pursuing the qualifications for the first time. Funding will not be provided for a degree at the same level.
- You must be registered at a public higher education institution within South Africa.
For degrees like MBA, DBA, and others, no funding will be provided.
Results can take up to 3 months after the closing date. Students must inform if they have applied for funding from some other source.
How do I apply?
If you are confident that all the above-mentioned criteria are fulfilled and there are no exceptions, you can apply for the scholarship as follows:
You must apply for the scholarship via email to firstname.lastname@example.org
Use the subject line: OMT Scholarship Application – your full name
Attach the following mandatory documents along with your application. All the documents mentioned below must be attached to the application form. The copies must be clear and if any document is missing, the application will not be considered.
- Certified copy of ID documents
- Certified copy of residential documents
- A 3 cm x 4 cm recent photograph
- Certified copy of the degree
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- Academic records (both completed and in progress)
- Corresponding funding records and costs of the research projects
- Estimates of expenses for studies, including tuition, books, living costs, etc. The calculated budget is to be recorded at the OMT Study Budget template.
- Record of all funding (unapproved)
- Details of the applied qualification (Institution, period, degree level, etc.)
- Institution Registration proof
- Income proof
- A letter (maximum 500 words)
- Describe your schooling, family and personal background, interests, and personal beliefs.
- Career objectives.
- Plans for the near future and prioritized goals.
- Three letters of recommendation from people familiar with your work who can authenticate your academic records. It has to be submitted via email at email@example.com.
The candidates must update OMT regarding the status of all the fundings they have applied to. The winner is decided based on merit and discretion.
The last date of application for studies starting in July to October (2022) is 31 March 2022.
All the applicants must apply before the deadline with all the required documents attached. No late submitted forms will be considered for the scholarship.
Please send all the queries to the respective email address.
For local scholarship- firstname.lastname@example.org
Please check if the scholarship is still open before contacting.