About Nuffic South Africa
Nuffic is a non-profit organization that works towards the internationalization of education. It believes that everyone should have equal access to international-level education regardless of their nationality. Since 1952, it has been facilitating cross-border education by offering financial assistance to students to travel overseas and undergo a study programme.
The South African division of Nuffic is known as Nuffic South Africa. It offers grants to students in South Africa to study in top colleges in the Netherlands. The funding comes directly from the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. In South Africa, the programme is managed by the Department of Higher Education & Training (DHET).
NETHERLANDS: Orange Knowledge Programme Scholarships 2022
The Orange Knowledge Programme (OKP) is a scholarship programme developed and funded by the Dutch Ministry of Foreign Affairs. It offers financial aid to students who want to study in the Netherlands and complete short-term and long-term courses. Through the programme, the Dutch Ministry also aims to contribute to the sustainable and inclusive development of society.
The scholarship is available for both short-term (2-12 months) and long-term (12-12 months) courses. The fields of study that are prioritized are:
- Security and rule of law
- Sexual and reproductive health and rights
- Food and nutrition security
- Water management
The scholarship is available at certain Dutch colleges and universities. And the cost of the programme varies with them. But it is a fully-funded scholarship programme, thus covering expenses like tuition fees, registration fees, cost of living, travel, COVID tests cost, accommodation, visa, and health insurance. That being said, students should be prepared to pay for certain expenses out of their pockets.
Once awarded, the scholarships cannot be transferred.
Who should apply?
There are specific eligibility criteria laid out for this scholarship programme. Anyone applying for the funding must fulfill all of them. Failing to do so will lead to obvious rejection. Therefore, always cross-check before applying.
The eligibility requirements for NETHERLANDS: Orange Knowledge Programme Scholarships 2022 are:
- Living and working in an OKP country
- Fulfill all the eligibility requirements of the course at the Dutch university
- Working in one of the priority areas of their country
- Have received an endorsement from the current employer (must be working for the government, academic educational institution, university, commissions or NGOs, or in the private sector; self-employed persons or freelancers are not eligible)
- Have a strong academic track record
- Agree to all the obligations and conditions of OKP
- Proficient in either English or French (the classes will be delivered in these languages only)
- Motivated and have a pleasing personality
The OKP is a highly competitive scholarship programme. Even the ones who fulfill all of the eligibility requirements are not selected. Applicants higher on merit will get priority over others.
How do I apply?
Here are the steps involved in applying for the NETHERLANDS: Orange Knowledge Programme Scholarships 2022:
- Check and confirm that your applications are within the OKP focus area for the country (South Africa)
- Find a study programme on this portal using the OKP filter
- Obtain a nomination letter from your employer/government statement, if employed by the government
- Contact the Dutch college or university to ask for more information regarding application and selection
- Prepare these documents to send along with your application: employer/government statement, ID document, passport, a motivation letter
- In an application round, you will receive a link from the Dutch education institution that you will need to use to submit your application.
Following the application, you’d have to attend rounds of interviews before final selection. The results will be announced within 3 to 4 months of the application.
The last date to submit your application is 22 March 2022 by 16:00 CET.
For more details regarding the scholarship programme, contact the Dutch education institute where you intend to study.