Petra Diamonds is one of the leading independent diamond producers in Africa, and as of 2012, it operates five of the most productive diamonds mines historically. Among these mines is the Cullinan Diamond Mine in Gauteng,where the largest rough and polished diamond in the world was produced. In line with its goal of having continuous access to a diverse pool of bright talents, the company launched the Petra Diamonds Bursary rogramme.
Petra Diamonds Bursary Programme
In its continued commitment to the growth and development of South Africa’s skilled work force, Petra offers great opportunities for underprivileged and talented South African students. Through this initiative, qualified students can acquire skills and qualifications, specifically in the mining industry while becoming empowered and contributing South Aftrican citizens.
Petra Diamonds provides both vocational work experience and bursaries in the following fields of studies:
- Mechanical, Electrical, Metallurgy and Mining Engineering
- Environmental Management
- Financial Management
- Human Resources Management
- Environmental Management
The bursary programme covers all school-related expenditures including but not limited to:
- full tuition expenses
- yearly cash and travel allowance
- food and lodging (or equivalent cash allowance)
- life skills training
While bursars are required to work at Petra for a specific number of years, the possibility of permanent employment will be dependent on the current requirements of the company and further satisfaction of employment requirements.
Requirements or Eligibility
Applications that meet the following minimum programme requirements will be shortlisted:
- Acceptance to a prescribed course in a recognised univerity
- Obtained an admission score of 35 for Engineering students; admission score of 31 for students in other courses
- Medically fit to work in a mining operation including below ground work environments
- Current university students must be studying in a recognised university
- Must be able to successfully complete a panel interview
- Amenable to moving to rural areas where mining is usually present
- Must have no criminal record
- Applicants residing near local mining facilities will have an advantage
How to Apply
If you meet the basic requisites of the programme, read on to know how the application process goes and what to expect.
Career Wise manages Petra’s bursary programme. They will be the one to receive, review, and shortlist the applications. They will then submit the list to Petra for the final selection process.
Get started with the application process by heading to the Career Wise website and registering an account. Click on the below link to get there:
You will be asked to upload a copy of your most current photo
Make sure to select Petra Diamonds on the “Company Preference” dropdown box and before submitting the registration form.
Opening and Closing Dates
Career Wise is accepting applications all throughout the year. While it may be possible that Petra is no longer taking applications at the time of viewing, Career Wise may keep your application on file as reference for any immediate openings you qualify for.
If you have any questions about the requirements, eligibility, or application process, get in touch with Career Wise using the contact details below:
Telephone: 086 100 7787
Know more about Petra Diamonds by clicking here.