The Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa, or PSSA is calling on suitably qualified pharmacy students to send in their applications for its Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education Bursary Programme for the 2020 academic year.
Formed in June 1885 in King Williamstown, the South African Association is the first voluntary society of pharmacists in the country. This gave rise to other autonomous pharmaceutical societies in other provinces. These independent groups later combined into a unified group, and in January 1946, was inaugurated as the Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa.
The PSSA seeks to promote the professional, economic and educational interests of its members as well as that of the pharmaceutical profession. In addition, the Society works to uphold the promotion and maintenance of the health of the South African people by providing dependable and safe pharmaceutical services.
Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa – FPE Bursary Programme 2020
The Pharmaceutical Society of South Africa offers the Foundation for Pharmacy Education Bursary Programme to support undergraduate students on their second year of qualification and onward. First year undergraduate students and Grade 12 students are not yet eligible to apply for bursary support.
Who should apply?
In order to qualify for bursary support, applicants must possess the following eligibility requirements:
- Must be a 2nd year student (and onward) pursuing an undergraduate degree in Pharmacy at a recognized higher education institution
- As financial status is a major criteria, candidates with an annual household income amounting to more than R130 000 (before tax) are seldom considered to receive bursary support
- Must have obtained at least a 60% grade average with no failing marks
- Dependents of the supporter must still be pursuing studies in tertiary institutions or scholars
How do I apply?
Applicants who meet the minimum criteria for qualification will need to download the application form here.
Be sure to attach the following supporting documents together with the application form:
- Clear, certified true copy of SA identification document
- Transcript of all academic results, including results from the previous year if available. Reason must be explicitly stated if candidate is unable to comply
- Letter of motivation from the applicant’s pharmacy lecturers
All applications and supporting documents must be sent to:
Foundation for Pharmaceutical Education
PO Box 75769
435 Flinders Lane
All applications and supporting documents must submitted by 21 October 2019.
Late or incomplete submissions will not be accepted.
For further enquiries about the programme, get in touch with:
Ms Nitsa Manolis
Tel. no: (012) 4709562
- How much is the amount of the bursary support?
The bursary amount is at least R8 000 or more, directly paid to the higher education institution
- Is the bursary renewable?
Yes. It is renewable for each year of study.
Click the link to view the PSSA-FPE Bursary Programme