Each year, the Russian Federation government offers a number of International Scholarship Progammes to highly deserving foreign students from all around the world. This scholarship grant seeks to provide support to South African students pursuing a Bachelor’s, Master’s and Doctor’s degree. The selected scholars are required to go through a one-year preparatory course connected to their area of specialization prior to the start of their post-graduate degree.
Russian International Scholarship Programme 2019 for South African Students
South Africa’s Department of Higher Education and Training will be placing the candidate recommendation for scholarship. The selected scholars will be placed in the learning institution by the Russian Ministry of Science and Education.
Preference will be given to applicants who intend to pursue any of the following areas of specialization:
- Engineering sciences
- Environmental studies
- Maritime studies
- Nuclear and Renewable energy studies
- Physical and Natural Sciences
- Space science
The majority of the programmes offered are taught using the Russian language. This is why a preparatory course is a requirement and comes with the scholarship programme. While there may be programmes conducted in English, placement in such programmes is not guaranteed.
Applicants will need to do their research on the institutions offering their chosen programme as well as its respective admission requirements. Search for the available programmes by clicking the link below:
The Russian International Scholarship Programme for South African Students will cover the following expenses:
- Registration and tuition costs
- Accommodation costs (shared accommodation only)
- Monthly stipend (based on academic performance
The Government of South Africa will provide coverage for incurred expenses such as:
- One return Economy class airfare
- Once-off settlement costs
- Monthly stipend
- Yearly allowance
- Research funding costs (for postgraduate students)
Requirements or Eligibility
To get a chance to qualify for the internship programme, the following minimum requirements must be met:
- A South African citizen in good state of health (medical examination required)
- Has an excellent academic record
- Bachelor’s degree – at least 70% average National Senior Certificate (not including LO)
- Postgraduate applicants – obtained minimum average of 65% in their past studies
The chosen applicants must be willing to sign a contract and go to a pre-departure briefing. Moreover, scholars are to return to South Africa once their studies are completed.
How to Apply
As a requirement, qualified individuals will need to download and fill out the application form.
In addition, interested applicants must register and set up an account to kick start the application process
Be sure to fully accomplish the application form before and attach the following documents:
- For Bachelor’s programme applicants
- Copy of National Senior Certificate, along with Bachelor’s pass or equivalence certificate
- Letter of Motivation, no more than 1 page with choice of area of discipline
- Two (2) reference letters, duly signed with official letterhead. Include email address and contact number of signees. One reference letter from a school teacher, the other from a teacher or supervisor
- For Master’s degree programme applicants:
- Bachelor’s degree certificates with honours or qualification equal to NQF Level 8
- Academic transcripts from all universities attended
- One page (max) letter of motivation and reasons for pursuing the field of specialization
- Research proposal proper headings: Title, Objective, Rationale, Methodology
- Two (2) reference letters, duly signed on an official letterhead. Must show email and phone number.
- For Phd degree applicants
- certification or equivalent NQF Level 9 certifications
- Transcripts of academic performance from previous schools or university.
- Letter of motivation (1 page max). Include reason for pursuing the area of discipline.
- Research proposal showing the aforementioned headings.
- Two (2) reference letters written on letterhead with email address and contact number.
Important: All required documents must be in PDF format.
Click the link below to download the application form:
Send your application to the Department of Higher Education and Training at Internationalscholarships@dhet.gov.za.
Don’t forget to place “Russian Scholarship Application – (Your Surname)” on the subject line.
Opening and Closing Dates
Applications can be submitted until 27 February 2019.
All questions and enquiries must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more details about the Russian International Scholarship Programmes, go to the DHET website by clicking the link below: