The South African Chefs Association is facilitating the SA Chef Bursary Programme for 2019. The programme is aimed at providing bursary assistance to a culinary arts student, or a young individual studying to become a chef. SA Chefs is non-profit organization that represents the interests of South African chefs, caterers and cooks. Moreover, the organization’s main agenda is to develop young talent, celebrate the culinary profession and affect lasting and gainful changes in the industry.
With over 9600 members, SA Chef aims to bring a big impact on the professional careers of its members. This includes hotel directors and catering services, chefs, restaurateurs, culinary educators, cooks and apprentices.
SA Chef Bursary – Bryan Montgomery Bursary Fund
The program is funded and administered by the Bryan Montgomery Bursary Fund. The programme will provide R30,000 to cover tuition fees at a culinary school recognized by SA Chef.
It must be noted that the cash assistance will be handed over to the training institution and not directly to the chosen bursar. Moreover, the bursary is awarded based on a formal bursary application approval system.
Requirements or Eligibility
Interested parties must satisfy the following minimum requirements:
- Must be South African citizens between 18 and 25 years of age
- Completed Grade 12 or its equivalent
- Enrolled in a SA Chef-recognized culinary arts training programme studying to become a professional cook
- Must be a registered member of SA Chef’s upon enrollment
- The duration of the culinary study must be a minimum of 12 months
- Must agree with being available to SA Chefs and BMBF sponsors for PR efforts
How to Apply
Qualified applicants are required to send in their applications along with the required documents:
- Certified copy of South African ID documents
- Updated CV
- Letter of acceptance from the culinary school
- Motivation letter from lecturer or principal
- SACA membership number
Download the bursary application form below:
Send applications together with all the required documentations to:
The South African Chefs Association
PO Box 291305, Melville, 2109
ATTN: Daniela Wiener
Email address: Daniella@sachefs.co.za
Opening and Closing Dates
The deadline for submission of applications for the SA Chef Bursary Programme is on 31 March 2019.
Note that the Bryan Montgomery Bursary Foundation selection committee will be conducting the applicant review and selection processes. The chosen candidates will be notified by post within two months after the deadline.
SA Chefs can be reached by:
Phone: +27 11 482 7250
Want to get to know SA Chefs better? Click the link below to get to its homepage: