The South African Association for Food Science and Technology, or SAAFoST, is now inviting qualified individuals who are interested in receiving bursary support through its Brian Koeppen Memorial Scholarship Programme for the 2020 academic year.
SAAFoST is a non-profit, national organization that is largely overseen by volunteers and technical professionals working together in an effort to advance food science and technology. This is primarily achieved through its membership-based magazine publication entitled Food Science and Technology. The magazine promotes the publication of articles and papers, scientific research, seminars, organized meetings, exhibitions, workshops and educational services assistance to name a few. One of its most important educational initiatives is the SAAFoST Bursary Programmes.
The scholarship programme was established in honor of the late Prof. Brian H. Koeppen, department head of the Department of Food and Science. Bursary support is available to postgraduate students which include both master’s and doctorate degree programmes. The bursary support amounts to R35 000 per year and can only be used to cover tuition fees.
However, bursars who also beneficiaries of other programmes that cover all or part of the tuition fees will have the Koeppen scholarship take care of the study materials, academic seminars, research and study visits.
Who should apply?
Applicants who meet the following minimum requisites are eligible to apply:
- Duly nominated for scholarship/bursary support by the Department of Food Science of the respective schools or higher education institution listed below:
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of Pretoria
- University of Venda
- University of the Free States
- Department of Food Technology of the following schools:
- Durban University of Technology
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Tshawane University of Technology
- University of Johannesburg
What is the selection process?
Two bursary recipients, a master’s degree student and a doctorate-level student, are selected on the basis of :
- Scholastic performance
- Research work conducted from the previous year
How do I apply?
Candidates who are eligible to apply will need to prepare the following supporting documents:
- Academic transcripts from previous degrees
- Copy of approved progress report from previous year
- Proof of membership with SAAFoST
- Proof of registration
- Proof of residence status in SA or copy of ID
- Documents indicating other sources of financial support
Download the application form here.
Accomplish the application form completely and send it together with all the required documents via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
or submit via fax to: (086) 698 4784
The deadline for submission of application is on 15 February 2020.
For further information about this bursary, contact SAAFoST at:
Tel.no: (012) 349 2788
Click the link to view the Koeppen-SAAFoST Memorial Scholarship 2020 advert.