The South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) headquarters is located north of downtown Johannesburg on the slopes of Auckland Park. The objective of SABC is to ensure access to its broadcasting services to all the people residing in South Africa. It makes the services available to the citizens in all the official languages that reflect the diversity and unity of the multilingual and cultural nature of the country, its audience and its region. Educating, informing and entertaining through programmes for youth, children, women and people with disabilities is the commitment of SABC. This government-owned organization works independently to develop high-quality content as well as news.
SABC ( Internship Technical Operator ) 2022
SABC has an opening for Twelve Sound Engineering Graduates to join their Technology RRTO team in Auckland Park, Western Cape and KwalaZulu Natal. This 12-month programme is designed to provide operational support for broadcast clients (both internal and external) for setting up/ preparing/ recording and playing out of broadcast content across all platforms in accordance with industry standards and available facilities. Each intern will be placed in a different province as indicated below.
SABC ( Internship Technical Operator GP) – Auckland Park
SABC (Internship Technical Operator (WC)) – Western Cape – Cape Town
SABC (Internship Technical Operator KZN) – KwaZulu Natal – Durban
Key Roles and Responsibilities:
- Execute production requirements for operational purposes.
- Operate facility equipment with assistance.
- Mic placements according to SOP.
- Assist with the audio recording of drama productions that include effects, music, and different audio streams.
- Assist in recording in accordance with broadcast standards and customer requirements.
- Ensure compliance with broadcast standards by monitoring sound quality during recordings.
- Monitor schedule changes according to customer requests.
- Monitoring of sound and video quality in accordance with broadcast standards.
- Observe archiving best practices when recording distributions.
- Set up the mix-minus.
- Playback systems for digital content.
- A basic mixdown of audio/visual elements, performed as required according to client requirements & broadcast standards.
- Production materials delivered on time, within the scope and according to specifications
- Risk findings should be reported and escalated.
Who should apply?
Candidates must meet the minimum eligibility criteria in order to be considered for this internship program. Candidates who do not meet the requirements will not be considered. The following minimum requirements must be met by the applicants:
- Film/Video Technology or Relevant Qualification or Sound Engineering Certificate (one year and above).
- A sound engineering diploma (3 years) with NQF level 6 is an advantage.
- It would be advantageous to have a driving license.
Knowledge & Skills:
- Hearing and sight are excellent (no colour blindness). Physically fit.
- Communicates effectively and is capable of leading a team if necessary.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Outlook, and Microsoft PowerPoint.
How do I apply?
Applications must be submitted online. Here are the links to register and fill out the application:
Auckland Park – SABC ( Internship Technical Operator GP) (10202)
Western Cape – SABC (Internship Technical Operator (WC)) (10081)
KwaZulu Natal – SABC (Internship Technical Operator KZN) (10541)
The deadline for submission of applications is 19 March 2022.
Applicants must submit their application within the deadline to be considered for the internship programme. Late applications will not be considered.