Government-owned, the South African Broadcasting Corporation (SABC) broadcasts television and radio programs throughout the country. The corporation also produces an online news site. Its headquarter is in a Johannesburg suburb. It has radio and television studios there. There are more SABC studios and offices in other regions of South Africa. The SABC operated several radio stations in the early 2000s as well as several television stations. One station was dedicated to each of the 11 official languages of the country.
SABC Media Server (EVS) Operations Internship 2022
The SABC is looking for five interns to join their Television and the Outside Broadcast team as Media Server operators. In this 12-month graduate program, you will provide support to SABC’s TV Media and OB Technology departments in order to meet SABC’s business and operational objectives.
The position is ideal for those with a degree/certificate/diploma education in Film and TV Production/Video Technology or Studio Production/Media Server and interested in gaining more experience in the Broadcast environment.
About the Team
The SABC’s TV and Outside Broadcast unit is part of its Technology Division. Among its responsibilities is broadcasting both inside and outside the SABC. Providing custom broadcast solutions and support to our clients is the responsibility of the TV and Outside Broadcast Team.
Location: Auckland Park
- Provide support for audio and video playbacks to enable off-tube commentary, looped background footage, and graphic recordings
- Preparing for production sessions by familiarizing yourself with the requirements.
- Before beginning production sessions, familiarize yourself with the production facility (OB Unit or TV Studio).
- Report equipment and service issues so that faulty equipment and services are not available
- Support and assist with live monitoring of picture quality and immediately adjust settings to conform to broadcast standards, as well as reporting non-compliance to relevant authorities.
- Determine and serve customers’ needs in an effective manner. Respond to customer inquiries/complaints as soon as possible.
- Assist producers and directors with technical/operational support and advice regarding server operations and best practices in TV production if required.
- Adherence to company policies and SOPs.
- Make sure the Media Server equipment is up and running before production begins by providing support and assistance.
- Importing and exporting media materials with support and assistance.
- Create playlists for live production and assist with slow motion.
- Insertions, logos, slow motions, stingers, and sponsorships will be played. The on-air playlist will be reshuffled.
- Tapes, XD-Cam, and live feeds are read and retrieved.
- Assistance with editing instant/on-the-fly, live, postproduction, pre, and highlight the packages.
Who should apply?
All the applicants must fulfill all the eligibility requirements to qualify for the SABC Media Server (EVS) Operations Internship programme. Failing to meet any of the following requirements will lead to the cancellation of your application.
- An applicable degree, diploma, or certificate in film and television production, video technology, or information technology
- A minimum of 1-year experience in Studio production/Media Server.
Knowledge and Skills Requirements:
- Understands the equipment & facilities used in broadcasting production environments.
- An understanding and knowledge of EVS equipment.
- Understands the systems, workflows, and processes of TV operations.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement operational support based on advice.
- Knows and understands basic troubleshooting procedures.
- Acquires a thorough understanding of the application of Media Server equipment.
- Be able to demonstrate knowledge and understanding of the use of fragile OB/Studio equipment safely.
- Understanding and knowledge of broadcast standards.
How do I apply?
Please use the following link to submit your application:
Candidates must submit their application latest by 19 March 2022. Any applications received after the end date will not be considered for the programme.