The SABC serves millions of South Africans with entertainment, news, and information. The vision of the organization is to become the country’s and continent’s credible voice and representative.
SABC (Sound Operations) Internship 2022
SABC is currently offering five internship opportunities for Sound Operators to join their TV and Outside Broadcast teams.
Location: Auckland Park
The internship program at SABC offers the chance for students to work with both internal and external clients to identify growth areas for the company as well as to solve key business problems. From the start, you will be equipped to take on real-world challenges because of your education and experience.
This skillset focuses on providing support to the Television Media and Undercover Technology departments, ensuring successful execution of initiatives and productions in order to achieve SABC’s goals. The position will be of interest to individuals with a degree/diploma/certificate in Television and Film production/Video production or audio operations/studio production and those who are interested in gaining broadcast experience and skills.
About the Team
The SABC’s TV and Outside Broadcast unit is part of its Technology Division Broadcasting Corporation of South Africa). This unit provides broadcasting services both to the SABC and to clients outside of the corporation. Those on the TV and Outside Broadcast Team are responsible for supporting and facilitating broadcast and offering custom broadcast solutions to clients.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Provide support and guidance in the areas of planning, setting up, obtaining, testing and using operating equipment during TV productions so as to ensure a smooth broadcast.
- Provide assistance and support in identifying and addressing customer needs.
- Providing technical support and assistance for the setup and operation of sound equipment according to Standard Operating Procedures.
- Production material is delivered on time, within the scope and according to specifications.
- Ensure sound equipment is in good and in working condition before production by supporting and assisting.
- Support, assist, and report faulty gear as soon as possible to OB technician/Superior.
- Provide assistance and support in the setting up and operation of sound equipment in accordance with standard operating procedures.
- Help implement Audio Production techniques, as well as the use of ancillary equipment, according to the production plan, customer requests, and industry best practices
- Help troubleshoot and perform emergency procedures efficiently and effectively.
- Preparing for production sessions by familiarizing yourself with the requirements.
- Prior to production sessions, familiarize yourself with production facilities (OB unit or TV studio).
- Meeting the requirements of production and customers.
- Compliance with standard operating procedures
- A commitment to the company’s policies.
Who should apply?
You must fulfill the minimum eligibility criteria to be considered for the internship. Your application will not be considered if you fail to meet any of the following requirements.
- An appropriate degree, diploma, or certificate with an emphasis in film and television production/video technology
- Qualifications in sound operations/studio production of at least one year.
The applicants must have the following knowledge and skills:
- Understands the equipment & facilities used in broadcasting production environments.
- Understands the systems, workflows, and processes of TV operations.
- Demonstrates the ability to implement operational support based on advice.
- Understands and demonstrates basic First Line Maintenance on sound equipment.
- Knows and understands basic troubleshooting procedures.
- Knowing how to use different sound equipment and how to apply it. For example, microphones.
- Knows and understands safe handing of fragile OB/Studio equipment.
- Broadcast standards knowledge and understanding.
How do I apply?
Online applications must be submitted through the website: SABC (Internship Sound Operations ).
Note: First you need to create an account and register at the website for submitting an online application.
Applications must be submitted by 19 March 2022.