Sappi South Africa is calling on qualified individuals to apply for its upcoming Data Science Internship Programme for the 2020 financial year.
Established in 1936, Sappi South Africa (SA) is a leading manufacturer of quality paper products and dissolved paper pulp. After a series of aggressive expansion efforts, the company diversified its product line to meet local and international demand. Today, they produce packaging and specialty papers, printing paper, biomaterials and bio-energy, to name a few.
Sappi SA is headquartered in Johannesburg and is the forerunner of Sappi Global, a multi-national company with operations spanning three continents including North America and Europe.
Sappi SA Data Science Internship Programme 2020
The successful candidate will get the opportunity to acquire and develop essential competencies, experience and skills in data science. Moreover, the incumbent will be responsible for providing assistance to the organization in terms of various tasks and responsibilities such as:
- Provide support during Precision Forestry research endeavors including data cleaning, verification and manipulation
- Process high volumes of large volumes of remotely sensed datasets as well as providing support with output validation and quality control
- Support Precision Forestry during operational activities covering project support as well as operational staff training
Who should apply?
The ideal candidate must be able to satisfy the programme’s minimum requisites listed below in order to qualify:
- Holds a matric or Grade 12 qualification
- Must have completed qualification in any of the following:
- Remote Sensing
- Computer Science
- any relevant qualification
- Good working knowledge of MS Office apps such as PowerPoint, Word, Outlook or Excel
- Basic background in programming languages such as R, Python or GIS
- Holds a valid driver’s license
What is the selection process?
Sappi employs a straight-forward and effective selection process when screening applicants for either internships or full-time positions.
- Applicants able meet the basic requisites are shortlisted by a line manager and the HR department
- Interview invitations are sent to the qualified applicants
- The interview is conducted with the HR and line manager present and the most suitable applicants are chosen based on the interview and CV
- When needed, assessments are done to determine skill gaps or suitability for the job prior to potential employment
- The line manager reviews the assessment results along with recommendations
- An offer is made to the best candidate
- The successful candidate will accomplish the required paperworks and will receive a start date upon accepting the offer
How do I apply?
To apply, you need to create an account on the company’s careers page. Click here to access the page and fill out the form. If you already have an account set up, simply log in and select the appropriate programme from the list to get started with the application process.
Applications will be accepted until 13 November 2019. The advert may no longer be available when the offer expires or the post had been filled.
You may view the Sappi SA Data Science Internship Programme 2020 advert by clicking the link.
For any further questions about the programme, get in touch directly with Sappi at email@example.com. Do not send applications to this email address.