Sappi South Africa is calling on qualified and interested graduates to apply for its upcoming Environmental Science Internship Programme for 2020.
Established in 1936, Sappi South Africa (SA) is a leading manufacturer of quality paper products and dissolved paper pulp. After a series of aggressive expansion efforts, the company diversified its product line to meet local and international demand. Today, they produce packaging and specialty papers, printing paper, biomaterials and bio-energy, to name a few.
Sappi SA is headquartered in Johannesburg and is the forerunner of Sappi Global, a multi-national company with operations spanning three continents including North America and Europe.
Sappi SA Environmental Science Internship Programme
The role requires the successful candidate to report to the Area Environment Manager and to perform the following duties and responsibilities:
- Conduct verification of Environmental Impact Assessments, or EIA utilizing recommended procedures
- Compile project maps, mining objections and EIAs
- Review literature on envronmental features important to prospecting application covered by Sappi Forests
- Update database including e.g. heritage, delineation and EIA databases
- Undergo EIA process training for legal requirements, major developments, etc.
- Establish and manage monitoring plan for sewage package plant
- Perform environmental procedures and monitoring
- Learn internal audit methods and certification requirements
- Conduct in-field verification of assessments done on weeds
Successful interns will be based in Sappi SA’s regional head office in Victoria Country Club Estate in KwaZulu-Natal.
Who should apply?
The ideal candidate must be able to meet the job requirements in order to be considered eligible for inclusion into the programme. These basic requirements are as follows
- Holds a BSc degree in Ecology or Environmental Science
- Preferably with experience in field experience monitoring techniques
- Some background in GIS (for map generation/analysis
What is the selection process?
Sappi SA employs a straight-forward and effective selection process when screening applicants for either internships or full-time positions.
- Applicants able to meet the basic requisites are shortlisted by a line manager and the HR department
- Interview invitations are sent to the qualified applicants
- The interview is conducted with the HR and line manager present. The most suitable applicants are chosen based on the interview and CV
- When needed, assessments are done to determine skill gaps or suitability for the job prior to potential employment
- The line manager reviews the assessment results along with recommendations
- An offer is made to the best candidate
- The successful candidate will accomplish the required paperwork and will receive a start date upon accepting the offer
How do I apply?
Applicants able to meet the basic qualifications mentioned above will need to register an account on Sappi SA’s recruitment portal. Click here to start the registration process.
If you already have an account, kindly sign in and use the job requisition ID 26385 to easily locate the job listing.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 12 December 2019.
Should you have further questions about this internship programme, get in touch with Saapi directly at email@example.com. Do not send applications to this email address.
Click the link to view the Sappi SA Environmental Science Internship Programme 2020 advert.