The South African Radio Astronomy Observatory is calling on qualified parties looking to fund their tertiary education to send in their application for its Undergraduate/Honour’s Bursary Programme for 2019 to 2020.
The SARAO is a research facility under the National Research Foundation in charge of implementing initiatives, projects and undertakings related to radio astronomy. The Karoo MeerKATRadio Telescope, and the VLBI and Geodesy projects at the HartRAO facility are its major projects. In addition, the SARAO is in charge of coordinating the African Very Long Baseline Interferometry Network, as well as the country’s share in the engineering and infrastructure planning for the Square Kilometre Array Radio.
SARAO Bursary Programmes 2019-2020
The SARAO Bursary Programme is open to students pursuing or planning to pursue any of the following fields of study:
- Bachelor in Electrical Engineering
- Bachelor in Computer Engineering
- Bachelor in Electronic Engineering
- Bachelor in Mechatronic Engineering
- Bachelor in Mechanical Engineering
- BS in Physics or Mathematics/Applied Mathematics
- BS in Astronomy, Astrophysics or Physics
- BS in Physics and Electronics
- BS Honours in Electronics, Physics or Computer Science
- BS Honours National Astrophysics and Space Science Programme
The current total bursary coverage for both undergraduate and honours studies amounts to R140,000 per year. Bursary support is renewable each year for as long as the programme allows and meeting academic standards set by the SARAO.
The SARAO Bursary Programme does not guarantee employment after completion of the bursar’s qualification.
Requirements or Eligibility
Applicants must meet the programme’s minimum requirements in order to be considered for the bursary award:
- A South African citizen or has been given permanent residency status
- Currently studying or intending to study any of the qualifications mentioned earlier
- Must be able to acquire at least a 70% result in Mathematics and Physical Sciences during matric
- Has at least 70% grade average during tertiary educaction
- More details are available by checking the programme advert below
How to Apply
Qualified applicants will need to go to the SARAO’s recruitment portal and register an account to be able to apply. Click the link below to get started:
Opening and Closing Date
Deadline for submission of applications is on 8 August 2019. Late and incomplete applications will not be accepted. Successful candidates will receive feedback by 11 November 2019. If no feedback has been received beyond this date, consider the application as unsuccessful.
For your queries about the programme, contact the SARAO at:
Tel: 011 442 2434