The South African Reserve Bank is calling on suitable postgraduate students to submit their applications and qualify for the SARB Graduate Development Programme 2024 intake at the company’s SARB Academy in Pretoria. If you’re interested in applying, be sure to go over the minimum eligibility requirements as well the responsibilities of the role.
The central bank of South Africa was founded in 1921 to correct the abnormal monetary and financial state of the nation resulting from World War I. It is the fourth central bank established beyond the borders of the UK and Europe. The SARB is privately-owned and the oldest central bank in Africa.
As the central bank of Africa, the SARB’s functions are:
- Create and implement monetary policy
- Issue coins and banknotes
- Supervise the nation’s banking system
- Ensure that the National Payment System (NPS) is functioning effectively
- Manage the country’s official gold as well as foreign exchange reserves
- Serve as banker to the South African government
- Manage the nation’s remaining exchange controls
- Act as lender of last resort in times of exceptional need
SARB Graduate Development Programme 2024
The SARB Graduate Development Programme 2024 intake runs for 12 months at the SARB head offices and commences in January 2024 and ends in December 2024. Here, successful candidates undergo various learning programmes at the SARB Academy. These learning programmes are focused on central banking which aims at developing versatile central bankers. Graduates who successfully complete the programme may be assigned to permanent posts within SARB based on performance, as well as other factors including:
- Interest in pursuing their career in SARB
- Eager to contribute to monetary policy, currency management, and financial stability
- Keen on supervising financial markets, financial institutions, and any other enabling functions within SARB
- Demonstrate professional behavior consistent with SARB’s values of excellence, accountability, respect, trust, integrity, and open communication
- Work independently and actively and effectively participate within a team
- Outstanding performance in their specific role
Who should apply?
Applicants must be able to satisfy these basic eligibility requirements to apply for the role:
- Must be a graduates of a postgraduate degree in any of the following fields of study:
- Policy Analysis
- Public Finance
- Information Technology
- Financial Management
- Portfolio or Investment Management
- Quantitative Analysis
- Project Management
- Business Analysis
- Predictive Analytics Modelling
- Risk Management
- International Relations
- A South African citizen
- Naturally curious, self-motivated, and innovative with excellent analytical skills
- Strong interpersonal as well as communication skills
- Achieved an overall GPA of at least 65% and a proven track record of exceptional academic performance
- Strong interest in working within financial services sector and policymaking
Note that this is a general description of the nature of work attributed to the role and may not list all the duties and responsibilities, and requisite skills of the position.
How do I apply
Eligible applicants will need to register their profile on SARB’s online recruitment page to apply for the role. Click/tap on the link below to get started:
Job ID: IRC33698
The deadline for submission of applications is on 14 April 2023.
For enquiries about the internship role, send an email to Muriel.Marais@resbank.co.za.