SMEC Holdings Ltd., an Australian large-scale infrastructure consulting services firm, is launching its Geologist – Engineering Graduate Programme for its 2022 intake and is inviting suitable candidates to submit an application as soon as possible to qualify. Take a moment to review the role description as well as the minimum eligibility standards if you’re thinking of applying.
Originally Snowy Mountains Engineering Corporation, SMEC undertakes design, feasibility studies, tender and contract management, project management and construction supervision. It offers engineering services for hydropower and energy, transport, as well as water and environment and resources construction projects.
In 2016, SMEC was bought by Surbana Jurong, which brought its talent pool to about 16,000 professionals in 120 regional offices across 40 countries including Australasia, Asia, the UK, Africa, the Americas and Middle East.
SMEC Geologist – Engineering Graduate Programme 2022
The successful candidate will be working in a full-time capacity with a team of specialists that supervises geotechnical contractors and provides interpretative reports on the field as well as laboratory data rotating between SMEC’s Johannesburg and Pretoria offices as needed.
Duties and responsibilities
- Provide site supervision to geotechnical contractors
- Comply with and enforce HSE requirement of the client as stipulated in the contract
- Provide supervising staff member with daily progress reports
- Supervise geotechnical subcontractors (i.e. geophysical surveyors) as needed
- Facilitate and oversee test pit excavations
- Conduct geological field mapping
- Organize borehole logs as well as test pit profiles
- Collect samples, bag and tag test pits and borehole cores
- Gather lab testing schedules and facilitate weekly sample pickups
- Aggregate, analyze, examine, and provide interpretation of field and lab test data
- Organize geotechnical reports e.g. desktop studies, interpretive, and factual
Who should apply?
You need to meet the role’s minimum eligibility criteria to apply:
- Preferably with an MSc degree in Engineering Geology, or any relevant geotechnical field
- Holds an honours qualification in Geology or Engineering Geology
- Work experience equivalent to one to five years as geological engineer/engineering geologist garnered from consulting industry
- Registered with SACNASP as a candidate geologist leading to a professional registration
- Experience in project management (small to intermediate-sized )
- Operational background in managing and supervising geothechnical contractors
- Skilled in rock and soil logging at par with latest industry standards
How do I apply?
Eligible candidates will need to fill out an application form on the Company’s online recruitment. Click the link below:
The deadline for submission of applications is 8 April 2022.
For enquiries, get in touch with SMEC directly by calling +632 631 6497
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the SMEC Geologist – Engineering Graduate Programme 2022 advert page.SMEC graduate programme-2022