Starke Ayres, a trusted brand in the agri-business sector, is calling on suitable candidates who are interested in joining its Molecular Biology/Pathology Internship Programme to check out the internship advert and send in an application should they meet the minimum requirements.
Starke Ayres is a leading specialist in the flower, vegetable and lawn seeds distribution industry in Africa. The company is a popular supplier of premium seed varieties to professional growers all over the world. They have their own vegetable seed growing programmes that are designed through years of sustained research and development.
The company maintains its focus on after-sales service, providing assistance to farmers who are growing produce that be brought to market. With a network international of in-house and external sales agents, Starke Ayres is able to operate a successful distribution network to ensure that their products make it to the customers.
Starke Ayres Molecular Biology/Pathology Internship 2020
The successful candidate will be joining the Stark Ayres’ Research Department and will be focusing mainly on supporting researchers and plant breeders in the Research Laboratory with various laboratory tasks. In further detail, the duties and responsibilities of the successful candidate are as follows:
- Prepare needed samples for various lab applications and protocols
- Organize media and seed platings for use in seed health tests
- Conduct splitting, labeling and distribution of logged seed samples in accordance with ISTA protocols
- Prepare QC samples and research for DNA extraction
- See to it that tests are done correctly to assure required accuracy
- Perform accurate sample labeling and storage
- Conduct sample germination according to set protocols
- Make sure agar plates (of important media) are in sufficient stock for routine work
- Provide support with general housekeeping including making sure labs are clean and in good running condition
Who should apply?
Candidates who satisfy the following minimum requirements are eligible to apply for this internship position:
- A recent graduate of or currently pursuing
- BSc in Agriculture
- BSc or National Diploma in Plant Pathology or Molecular Biotechnology or Biology
- Basic knowledge of test procedures in Pathology, traits inheritance and genetic principles
- Proficient with Microsoft applications e.g. Excel, Outlook, Word, Outlook as well as internet research
- Solid understanding of lab equipment and processes
- Those with at least two (2) years lab work experience will have an edge
How do I apply?
If you are eligible to apply and would like to take the next step, click here to register an account if you haven’t done so already.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 30 June 2020.
For enquiries, click on the link and fill out the contact form.
Click the link to review a PDF copy of the Starke Ayres Molecular Biology/Pathology Internship Programme advert.
- How long will it take to complete the internship?
This internship programme will run for a duration of 12 months.
- Where will the successful intern be based?
The internship programme will be held in Kempton Park, Gauteng province.