Canyon Coal is calling on qualified individuals who would be interested in sending their application and join its Engineering Bursary Programme applicable for the 2020 academic year.
As a coal exploration, mining and processing group, Canyon Coal, (or just Canyon) operates a number of processing plants and collieries in the Gauteng and Mpumalanga provinces. In addition, the company also heads different exploration projects within South Africa.
Canyon’s operations currently include the Khanye, Hakhano, Ukufisa and Phalanndwa Collieries. The Hakhano Colliery produces export-grade bituminous coal in Middleburg, Mpumalanga, as well as Phalanndawa Colliery (in Delmas) which produces bituminous coal for local consumption. The Ukufisa and Khanye Colliery, both in Gauteng, also produce bituminous products for the local and export market.
Through the years, Canyon has expanded its operations by way of various acquisitions and equitable partnerships in order to acquire strategic resources to boost its existing operations while establishing new ones.
Canyon Coal Engineering Bursary Programme
The Canyon Coal Bursary Programme is awarded to students currently pursuing or planning on pursuing tertiary level education within the mining industry. Bursary support is available to qualified students pursuing any of the fields of study below:
- BSc in Analytical Chemistry
- BSc in Electrical Engineering
- BSc in Geology
- BSc in Mechanical Engineering
- Environmental Management
- Human Resources
The bursary will cover school-related expenses such as:
- Tuition fees
- Prescribed books
Who should apply?
An applicant is considered eligible for bursary support only if he/she meets these minimum requirements.
- A citizen of South Africa (or naturalized) and residing in any of surrounding cities within the mining areas listed above
- Finished matric
- Already registered or taking up a prescribed course at a recognized tertiary education institution (with Council for Higher Education accreditation)
- Obtained a 65% grade average in all completed subjects/courses
- Financially constrained to complete studies
- Comes from a previously disadvantaged background
- Female applicants, as well as persons living with disabilities, will be given preference
What is the selection process?
- The Human Resources Manager will receive and review the applications
- Selection of potential bursars is conducted by the Human Resources Manager and will be then be forwarded to the Bursary Committee for approval
- The bursary is awarded based on academic merit
- The successful candidates will be contacted and will receive a copy of the approval.
How do I apply?
Applicants who meet the minimum qualifications are to download the bursary application form, accomplish it completely and accurately. Completed application forms, along with all required supporting documents, will be sent via email to email@example.com. Your email subject line must read “Canyon Coal Bursary Application – Your full name”.
Here is a list of the supporting documents (certified copies, when applicable):
- ID documents of both applicant and financial sponsors i.e. parents/guardians
- Final results of June examinations
- Final results of December examinations
- For applicants with employed parents/guardians, an official company letter stating their income or most recent payslip no older than six months
- Applicants with parents/guardians who are not currently employed must send official confirmation of temporary income
Download the Canyon Coal Bursary Programme 2020 application form by clicking the link.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 1 February 2020. Late or incomplete applications will not be accepted.
For more information about this bursary opportunity, get in touch with Canyon Coal by calling:
Tel: 0111 786 7996