Global Vision International (GVI) coordinates and administers the SANParks Internship Program that stretches from between 6 months to a year. The Interns can choose from within an array of more than fifteen different national parks. The Kruger National Park, which is famous all over the world, is also present in the list.
You must have high initiatives individually. Only then you become eligible for the Internship. In coordination with the People and Conservation Department, you are expected to extend your support towards the projects of community development and environmental education. In return you get the life changing and absorbing opportunity to work in the best of National Parks in South Africa for a year.
You will also get the chance to work with the leading social ecologists. It will be in different project locations like Namaqua, Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park, Tsitsikamma, Table Mountain National park and the world renowned Kruger National Park.
The internship is unique and exclusive both in terms of requirements and the richness of experience. You are expected to be a part of this program only if you are highly motivated to live the experience of conserving the environment and educating others for it. Also you must be thinking environmental conservation in the long term perspective. Only then the Internship is an option for a career for you.
- You must be over 21 years of age to be a part of the program.
- Have a number of predominant traits and features in your personality to be eligible for this unique Internship Program.
- You must be having a very independent personality.
- You must be having a proactive initiative attitude.
- The attitude must be always positive.
- You must be able to teach and deliver lectures on subjects of your knowledge. At the same time be open for suggestions and teachings from others as well.
- Conservation background, written and verbal communication and interpretation skills, strong people skills, artistic skills etc. would be beneficial.
- Similarly if you are from a teaching, project management, interpretation or initiative taker’s background, you would be at an added advantage. Then again the eligibility is subjected to variation depending upon the park, you are working in.
This Program follow a very strict and rigorous selection procedure to filter the appropriate candidates for the Internship Program.
The Staffs from GVI and SANParks will meet you at the Johannesburg International Airport. The staff will pick you from the airport and then route you to the Kruger National Park. You will have your orientation and training facility there.
Duration and Field Conditions
The Internship Program can range anywhere from 6 – 12 months.
Depending upon the chosen park, you will live within the most beautiful landscapes ranging from Savannahs to Mountains and Costal Plateaus. You will see lot of wildlife here ad cultural interaction is the key here. Interns will get their own personal accommodation in the parks having electricity and running water. You will buy and prepare your own food and vegetarians are welcome.
Opening and Closing Date
Applications have already started and will close by December 31st, 2018. Please apply before the end date so that your internship application is considered.