The Technology Innovation Agency, or TIA, is currently accepting applications from suitable candidates for its TIA Internship Programme for 2020. Details about this internship offers as well as the TIA is available for further reading below.
As an affiliate of the Department of Science and Innovation, TIA is a public entity that aims to support and promote the development of new technologies and innovations in the interest of the public. It works to support the government in stimulating and boosting technological innovation for economic advancement and the quality of life of South African citizens.
Technology Innovation Agency Internship Programme
The successful candidate will be reporting directly to the Line Manager or designated Mentor as part of the Bioprocessing Platform. As a non-financial instrument of TIA, the Bioprocessing Platform provides infrastructural and technical support to entrepreneurs and innovators to further technology development. Moreover, the platform offers a holistic approach in supporting the Bio-economy by providing a distinct mix of technological capabilities including:
- Analytical services
The intern’s duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist in projects supported by the Platform that seek to create viable products for the benefit of the Bio-economy
- Provide support in reaching research objectives
- Provide project administration or management support
- Help out in lab operations and in ensuring good housekeeping
Who should apply?
Applicants will need to satisfy these minimum requirements in order to be considered eligible to apply:
- Holds a National Diploma, Honours or BTech degree in Microbiology, Biochemistry or Biotechnology
- Completed Honours degree in Medical Microbiology or Molecular Biology
- Knowledgeable in microbiological techniques such as:
- Scaling up microbial cell cultivation starting from flask to the bioreactor
- Troubleshooting issues with the bioreactor
- Biochemical method development is preferred
- Background in RNA isolation
- Polymerase chain reaction
- cDNA synthesis
- Agarose gel electrophoresis
- Electro-transformation and cloning
- Preferably with experience in mammalian and immunoassays and bacterial cell culture
How do I apply?
If you are eligible to pursue this internship application, register an account on TIA’s website to be able to apply.
TIA reserves the right to discontinue the recruitment process at any time it may deem appropriate.
The deadline for submission of applications 02 July 2020.
For more information, get in touch with TIA directly at +27 (0) 12 472 2700.
- How long will it take to complete the internship?
This internship programme runs for a period of 12 months.
- Where will the internship take place?
The successful intern will be based in TIA’s Durban offices in KwaZulu-Natal.
- Is this a paid internship?
Yes. Remuneration will range from R7,500 to R8,500 per month.
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the Technology Innovation Agency Internship Programme advert.