Transnet is calling on qualified individuals interested in joining its Yard Official Trainee programme intake for 2022. Take a moment to go over the programme’s minimum eligibility requirements and application details before applying.
Headquartered in Carlton Centre, Johannesburg, Transnet SOC Ltd. is one of the largest, if not the largest rail, pipeline, and port company in South Africa. It was established on April 1, 1990 as a limited company with the privatization of government-owned South African Transport Services. This was done after eight decades of state and parliamentary control.
Employing over a 55,000-strong, highly motivated workforce with permanent status, Transnet offers a challenging and dynamic work environment and provides great opportunities to results-oriented and highly-skilled professionals.
Transnet Yard Official Trainee Programme 2022
As a Yard Official Trainee, the main responsibility of the successful candidate is to clear and place wagons/locomotives, collect and organize, and receive/dispatch trains. It is also the responsibility of the incumbent to relay information to facilitate trains and/or wagon deliveries at their appropriate destination.
Duties and responsibilities
- Perform dispatch duties and marshalling tasks
- Plan and carry out shunting activities
- Conduct control points and operational duties
- Carry out administrative tasks and team leader functions at control points
Who should apply?
The ideal candidate must be able to meet these basic eligibility criteria and competency/skills requirements to qualify for the role:
- Completed Grade 12
- Ready to undergo and successfully complete the training programme and gain certification and independently carry out tasks as a Yard Official
- Amenable to periodic behavioural safety assessments and medical surveillance during the recruitment process and every 12 months
- In top physical condition (mentally fit, excellent vision and hearing)
- Knowledgeable in BCEA and labour agreements, variation agreement compliance, the Occupational Safety Act of 1993, and other relevant legislation
- Solid background in train working rules, operations management, and organizational awareness
- Familiar with human capital as well as substance abuse policies and processes
- Solid judgment, reasoning, psychomotor, and communication skills
- Great attention to details
- Good visual-spatial skills
- Able to self-manage and cope with stress effectively
- Adherent to safety policies as well as work schedules
- Reliable and results-oriented
How do I apply?
Register your profile on Transnet’s online recruitment page first to be able to apply. Click the link below to get started:
Email your application indicating the position and reference number of the role you’re applying for to recruitment.operationsErmelo@transnet.net.
The reference number for the Transnet Yard Official Trainee programme is 50018289.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 12 August 2022.
For enquiries, send an email to TUMISANG.RALEKOA@TRANSNET.NET.
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the Transnet Yard Official Trainee Programme 2022 advert page.
Do not post queries if this learnership opportunity is no longer available. Alternatively, you may view our other internship, graduate programme, and learnership listings that are currently accepting applications.