The Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights in Pretoria, South Africa is inviting suitable candidates who would be interested in joining its Human Rights Internship Programme for 2021. Take time to review the minimum qualification requirements and job responsibilities before applying.
The United Nations Office of the High Commissioner for Human Rights, or OHCHR, is the Secretariat department that works to:
- Strengthen international human rights mechanisms
- Promote equality and fight discrimination
- End impunity and strengthen accountability
- Intensify the rule of law
The Office was founded in 1998 and has since been helping countries, UN agencies, civil society groups, and national human rights organizations with the objective of reaching the full realization of human rights.
UN-OHCHR Human Rights Internship 2021
The internship will be based in the OHCR’s South Africa Regional Office in Pretoria with the successful intern reporting to the Human Rights Officer of the designated work unit. The main responsibility of the incumbent is to provide support to the OHCR as it strives to fulfill its mission to protect all human rights of the people. It is also the OHCR’s mandate to educate the people about their rights and provide assistance to those who preserve such rights.
Although the daily duties of the successful candidate is based on the individual’s background and skills, there are specific functions to perform such as:
- Prepare and organize activities related to country and thematic aspects of human rights scenarios in the sub-region
- Conduct research and analysis
- Compile and analyze data and indicators on human rights
- Provide support with activities promoting human rights
- Support activities with UN country teams
- Assist with promoting human rights issues
- Support development and execution of human rights training programmes
- Take minutes during meetings, briefing, statements and communications
Who should apply?
Make sure to review the basic eligibility require before considering to apply for the position:
- Must be currently pursuing a graduate programme or
- Currently on their last year of Bachelor’s degree qualification, preferably in field of law, international relations, political science or social science, or
- A recent Bachelor’s degree graduate (no more the a year) of any of the aforementioned fields of study
- Able to start within a year after graduation date
- Exhibits professional competence and skill of subject matter
- Able to meet commitments and deadlines
- Demonstrates persistence in solving problems
- Effective written and oral communication skills
- Displays willingness in sharing information
- Effectively collaborates with team mates to realize organizational goals
- Client-centered; able to develop and grow productive client relationships
- Fluent in spoken and written English; knowledge
What is the selection process?
- Short-listed candidates will be invited for an informal interview
- It is highly advised to submit a thorough Personal History Profile
- The cover letter must:
- State your interest in the OHCHR, including knowledge of how the Southern Africa Regional Office works
- Specify availability, particularly earliest start date
- Indicate skills in Information Technology and computer programmes you are proficient with
- Summarize applicant’s geographic and/or primary thematic pillars’ areas of interest
- Show most recent academic degree obtained or earliest graduation date
How do I apply?
Applicants who meet the above requirements will need to register an account here to be able to apply. Make sure prepare the following supporting documents for uploading during the application process:
- Comprehensive CV
- List of references with full contact information
- Cover letter with prescribed content
Deadline for submission of applications is on 27 April 2021. Keep in mind that the OHCHR reserves the right may take down the advert for any reason it may serve the organization.
For further questions regarding the application process, click here.
Click the link to view a PDF copy of the UN-OHCHR Human Rights Internship Programme 2021 advert.