The Department of Transportation and Public Works at the Western Cape Government is inviting qualified individuals to submit their application and qualify for its Fitter and Turner Artisan Apprenticeship Programme for 2020.
The Western Cape Government (WCG) is responsible for creating laws that provide various services to Western Cape residents. It works hand in hand with the national government and various Western Cape municipalities to ensure that their constituents have unrestricted access to services, information and facilities they need.
Western Cape Government Fitter and Turner Apprenticeship Programme
The WCG and the Department of Transportation and Public Works is offering an apprenticeship programme for fitters and turners to be held at a technical college and at an apprenticeship training school in Bellville, Cape Town.
The successful applicants can look forward to getting exposure and hands-on learning in the following key performance areas:
- Create designs and objects in line with the year programme
- Conducting mechanical/technical fault inspection (under artisan supervision) on equipment and construction area
- Repairing construction machinery and equipment according to current industry standards
- Conduct testing on repaired machineries and equipment and ensure compliance to specifications
- Learn road construction plant maintenance as per schedule
- Manage job records as well as other relevant registers
Who should apply?
To qualify for consideration into the apprenticeship, you must meet the following minimum requirements:
- Holds a Technical Matric Certificate (or N stream) with Math and Science as passed subjects
- A resident of Western Cape and not over the age of 21
- In good health
- Capable of carrying out physically strenuous activities
What is the selection process?
- Applicants from particular communities will be given preference
- Shortlisted applicants will need to resubmit copies of their documents
- An interview request will be sent
- A proficiency/competency assessment may be given
How do I apply?
Applicants who are able to satisfy the minimum requirements of the programme will need to set up an account on the WCG website. Click here to get started.
Applications may also be sent by post. Download the application form here. Fill out the form completely and accurately. Also, be sure to attach supporting documents listed below:
- Up to date CV (max 5 pages)
- Certified true copies of ID
- Academic record
Remember to clearly indicate the position you are applying for and the reference number.
The full title of the post is: Artisan Apprentice (Fitter and Turner): Construction and Maintenance: Bellville Mechanical Workshop, TPW 2019-203
Reference code: WCG191018-4
Send your application form together with supporting documents via post to:
Private Bag X 2
or hand-deliver to:
Bellville Mechanical Workshop,
Robert Sobukwe Road, Bellville
Applicants can only apply once using one of the three ways mentioned above.
The deadline for submission of applications is on 13 January 2020. Late, incomplete or multiple applications will not be accepted.
For further enquiries, get in touch with:
Mr. I Louw
(021) 959 7700
Click here to view the Western Cape Government – DTPW Fitter/Turner Apprenticeship Programme 2020 advert.